Flying Lance - Two Stage (BP) scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying Lance. Or just Lance.
Yeah. HOPEFULLY FLYING Lance would be redundant in this case.

I remember a seminar with an ENT doc describing

FESS,

Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery.

I asked him afterwords, “you mean there’s also

DESS

Dysfunctional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery?”

Few years later at same seminar he had upgraded his presentation to include some surgical misadventures , FESS gone wrong.

The term DESS was born, although you won’t find it on Google.

My understanding is that a lance is a spear used by a mounted soldier.
It is not thrown.
So "Flying Lance" is not a redundant oxymoron.
So you are correct in the usage, Jeff.
On the other hand, if you covered the airframe with animal hair you would have Fur de Lance.
If you combined multiple airframes and clustered them you would have Lance A Lot.
If you.......
Never mind.

I have completed cutting, papering, and attaching fins. As I remembered from another scratch build, I did not like BT-50 24mm motor 2 stages. I fergit what it's called... I have to sim file here someplace. It was a decent rocket. But I have changed things up and decided the Redundent Flying Lance with be a gap staged 18mm to 18mm. After all, it's not like I have a lot of rockets that will consume my 18 B6-0's, and 24 C6-0's in the remaining years I have left. Not to mention the 14 B14-0s... Like I said, not to mention

Lance-20231015 (2 of 5).JPG

Lance-20231016 (3 of 5).JPG

Lance-20231016 (4 of 5).JPG

Lance-20231016 (5 of 5).JPG

My understanding is that a lance is a spear used by a mounted soldier.
It is not thrown.
So "Flying Lance" is not a redundant oxymoron.
So you are correct in the usage, Jeff.
On the other hand, if you covered the airframe with animal hair you would have Fur de Lance.
If you combined multiple airframes and clustered them you would have Lance A Lot.
If you.......
Never mind.
I slouch corrected!

So I went ahead and put the 18mm MM's in. Weight before the fin antennae (which is just 3mm dowels) is 54g with no finish. Add 10g for an Altimeter one, 4g for a chute. And 5g or so for finish. 54gm+10+4+5 - 73gm or so. About 2.5 oz... So I have to figure out why OR is saying more than an oz more. I'll figure it out. Kim didn't marry no dummy. Well maybe you did, right my love? :(

So I went ahead and put the 18mm MM's in. Weight before the fin antennae (which is just 3mm dowels) is 54g with no finish. Add 10g for an Altimeter one, 4g for a chute. And 5g or so for finish. 54gm+10+4+5 - 73gm or so. About 2.5 oz... So I have to figure out why OR is saying more than an oz more. I'll figure it out. Kim didn't marry no dummy. Well maybe you did, right my love? :(
Lot of motor weight in the tail?

speaking of which, since I don’t use open rocket, what’s the plan for motors? C6-O is (IMO) a crappy booster, I like the B6-0 better only because it has same max lift off capacity and is LIGHTER (not much) so helps get off pad a bit faster and drags CP back less than C6. I also go very light on sustainers for first flight. I do like the A8-5 or A8-3 because it has a big nozzle bore, theoretically better chance of gap stage ignition (although I really haven’t had much problem with Cs and Bs.

the C6 recommended max lift off weight is 113 grams. If you are at 2.5 oz (70 grams) with motors your thrust should be good, but that second rear motor may be too much tail weight. i know this is only a two stage, but there is a reason the FarSide and MicroSonde have huge tail feathers.

really wishing Estes would release a C5-0, I think it would be a far more reliable booster in terms of getting the whole stack off the rod or rail at stable speed. I am an ignoramus on lots of stuff, including motor manufacture, but if you can build a C5-3, how hard can it be to do the same thing WITHOUT the delay and clay cap?

Well I realized that any two stage is gonna be black power (tho I have a LOC Terrier Sandhawk in the build pile) so that limits my options. I guess I could have gone 24mm booster to 18mm. But it is what it is.
I find the B6-0 and C6-0 are fine with a 48 inch rod. And even an A8-0 works (though it stages like almost off the rod I think). I have a stash of B14-0s. Gotta use them up in my lifetime, though only at private launches (or under the Expired Motor Program).

Actually the CG/CP is generous. At least according to the sims. Latest version ORK file attached

F-Lance-18mm.jpg

Attachments

• Lance-2stage-003-18mm.ork
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
B6-0 (or a B8/14 if my myself) - To a B6-6. Then maybe the sustainer on a Quest C12 or 18.
The Quest composites may not take kindly to black powder staging, although if you know the trick I’d love to hear about it.

I’m partial to the A8-5 for sustainer maiden flight. Lower weight increases stability and acceleration of the stack off the rod. Big bore is an easy target for black powder staging. Most of the show is over and the rocket has reached near limits of visibility after staging, so the shorter flight path AFTER staging isn’t that much of a disappointment. Definitely improves odds of recovery so you are more likely to at least get two flights out of it, makes for a shorter walk as there will be less drift, and less lateral flight distance from weathercocking if it goes cruise missile on you.

but that’s me.

the decals really make this one Pop!

hope you get two straight trails!

Back