FlisKits: Proxima Centauri coming to NARCON 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
proxima_centauri.jpg

FlisKits is proud to announce the upcoming release of their newest kit, the commemorative kit of the 2011 NAR National Convention (NARCON), the Proxima Centauri

Kits have been packaged up and inventoried awaiting the formal release this coming Friday (keep watch!). FlisKits will be sending 20 of these kits (low number 10-29, signed) off to NARCON early this week so that they will be there in plenty of time for the event.

For those not luck enough to score one of these early kits, FlisKits is also providing 100 NARCON attendees a coupon good for $5 towards your purchase of a Proxima Centauri!

Additionally, check out your registration packet for a custom range box sticker, courtesy of FlisKits.

We're proud to be able to help the organizers of NARCON 2011 put together the best possible event for the folks in Washington. Good luck to everyone who attends!

The Proxima Centauri web pages are up and running at this time! The "add to cart" buttons will be turned on Friday, March 11th (or possibly Thursday night, March 10th), so keep watch!

I have attached a couple of images here (there are more on the web site). Special thanks to Tony Vincent of CMASS for the BEAUTIFUL job he did building and finishing the model that graces the cover art of the kit itself!

dsc00492.jpg

figure22.gif

Proxima Centari 5.jpg

Attachments

• Proxima Centari 16.jpg
    Proxima Centari 16.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Jim doesnt the package say NARCON 2001 instead of NARCON 2011? Not picking nits just wanted to give you a heads up.

Yep... that was pointed out to me at YORF... I hang my head, but such is life... LOL

You could hand out commemorative NARCON 2011 stickers that are just the right size ...... :)

P.S. I notice you've updated the image so that anyone seeing this thread later is going to be really confused - or assume that we are.

-- Roger

You could hand out commemorative NARCON 2011 stickers that are just the right size ...... :)

P.S. I notice you've updated the image so that anyone seeing this thread later is going to be really confused - or assume that we are.

-- Roger

Well, *that* image is also the one used on our web site, so yeah I was able to fix *that* one... :)

The Proxima Centauri web pages are up and running at this time! The "add to cart" buttons will be turned on Friday, March 11th (or possibly Thursday night, March 10th), so keep watch!//////////////

How late do you stay up on Thursday nights??? :caffeine:

FlisKits is proud to announce that the Proxima Centauri is NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!

We have production #10 - 29 (total of 20 kits), signed and hand marked as NARCON 2011 kits awaiting lucky winners at NARCON in Seattle, WA and have retained production #5-9 for early buyers via the web.

We're quite excited about this release. It had been a very important part of our list of models "to get out there" for a number of years. In fact, the MTTM Ulysses is actually a down-scale of this design as we wanted to get the basic design out there in any way possible.

Originally called the Alpha Centauri, the Proxima was renamed as I began working out the back-story for her. Proxima Centauri being our closest stellar neighbor lead to the name change and cemented the details of the back story.

From the kit instructions:

Planetary Press – Jupiter Station: February 23rd marks the 200th anniversary of the start of the first intergalactic voyage attempted by humankind. That fateful voyage that left a small colony stranded on Proxima-4 and the mystery surrounding the dead hulk of the Return Module that found its way back to earth 18 years later.

When the Proxima Centauri (named after its destination of our closest star) began her voyage, the hopes & dreams of the whole solar system went with her. Her 7-year journey found them orbiting the 4th of 6 planets found, and the first of two that were deemed habitable. It would be another 4 years before humanity would even know of these events. By then, unknown to us at the time, they had established a working colony and sent the Return Module back with a minimum crew of 20 doomed volunteers. The 63 who remained became the first of many sustained colonies and evolved into what we now know as Proxima-Prime, the 2nd largest human colony ever, and an independent governing body for over 100 years.

This scale replica of our first step towards galactic colonization celebrates the mission and the people with the vision to see the future and the courage to make it happen.

As for the details of that historic first mission beyond our solar system, that is up to YOU to write. Let your imagination soar higher and futher than any model could hope to go and let the Proxima Centauri be the spark!

Our newest released kit will begin shipping on Monday! I was going to start getting them out on Saturday but my schedule wouldn't let me do that, so Monday is the ship date to get'em out :)

Special thanks to Tony Vincent for his help in getting this kit into production (proofing and building a show piece).

To the folks attending NARCON, how does she look?? :)

Keep us posted!

Back