Flex-wing Glider Events

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
Does anyone ever compete in these events? Is it a dying category? Just curious - I never see these events listed at meets.

Mark \\.

it's a very KEWL event:
I've always liked it tho these gliders are so light it's very hard to get one back.
It's turely a calm air day kind of event....even for 1/8A;)
last time we tried 1/8A flex-wing I had a couple timed 6+ minute flights...Ya just can't get them back to claim the record :rotflol: great fun tho!

Mark you really should try to get your club to add the event to one of your meets..great fun!!!!
I might suggest flying one again at this years club planning session one of the lower impulse 1/8A, 1/4A or 1/2A might fit our new feild a bit better.

Hardest part is making the springs, which is a snap once you build a bending jig. see below.

132-sm_5A-A Flex-Wing BG_09-08-92.jpg

214a1-sm_8thA-Flex-Wing-Glider_09-08-99.jpg

Flexwing Spring Jig-sm_& springs_09-02-04.jpg

Does anyone ever compete in these events? Is it a dying category? Just curious - I never see these events listed at meets.

Mark \\.

GOOD! I hope FW dies a slow, painful death! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!! :pirate:

Since it originated in the eastern European countries in the 70"s, I have always held that FW was a communist-inspired plot to subvert the American balsa way of life. It has done nothing but create confusion, exasperation, frustration and defeatism in our rocketry culture. :eviltongue:

In other words, I could never get one of the @#$%& things to work. :banghead:

flex wing model rocket gliders date to 1962 here in the US and at least 1966 in the old Soviet Union.

they are essentially dead as a doornail.

terry dean

Well Gee that's truely a shame!
It's really a fun event, I'm gonna be sure to try to get it added to ECRM next year or at least to one of your Section or open meets. Didn't they fly D flex-wing out West at a Naram just a few years ago?

flex wing model rocket gliders date to 1962 here in the US and at least 1966 in the old Soviet Union.

they are essentially dead as a doornail.

terry dean
I was wondering if perhaps they were TOO easy, and therefore didn't present much of a challenge after awhile. Too easy to get a really long duration flight, that is.

Although flying flexies in 1/8A - now THAT would be a challenge.

D motor flexies? How about G class? :lol:

Mark \\.

How about a scale Gemini capsule (launched via an HPR Titan model, for instance), landing via Rogallo Wing? That would certainly be a sight! :cool:

Mark \\.

Back