Fin slotting jig?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimByrne

Reaction score
I would like to build a fin slotting jig. Looking for ideas.
Apogee has them but the price is more than I want to pay.
Has anyone built one? Would you be willing to share the plans/photos?
Is anyone else selling them?

I'm currently mentoring/building a rocket with a kid that live 70 miles away. We are meeting at a local park. Trying to include him in on all the steps..cutting fin slots..
Steel angle iron electrical taped inplace. Stacked .040" cut off wheels gave us a good width..This was run along the angle Iron..fins glued on with a fin jig..

Screenshot_20230701_141513_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230701_141426_Gallery.jpg

20230627_114356.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to build a fin slotting jig. Looking for ideas.
Apogee has them but the price is more than I want to pay.
Has anyone built one? Would you be willing to share the plans/photos?
Is anyone else selling them?

I plan to create a 3D printable one this summer for slotting BT-80 tubes.

I make them on my 3d printer. They are relatively easy to make.

Picking up on many similar designs shown across multiple talented TRF contributors, I made up one from 12mm plywood. I also use it for fin alignment and installation. The key to using it is level it, get it square, level it again, and don't rush your router to avoid chattering!

The other learning point is to keep it simple - if the fin positions can be marked accurately with angled edges and the slots cut by hand with a Dremel and thin cut wheel, then that way gives just as good a slot cutting job and the fin alignment does all the rest.

AGM33 PIKE Fin slotting pic2.jpg Workbench pic2.jpg Fin slot jig photo 3.jpg

Dart Fin Install pic1.jpg

This is my setup, first photo is index plate (3 or 4 slots), second is cutting the slots.

Roy

Attachments

• 03-14-2023 (44).JPG
    03-14-2023 (44).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 03-14-2023 (48).JPG
    03-14-2023 (48).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
This is what I love about Rocketry Forum. Wanted to improve my fin slotting technique. Came here and in 5 minutes have half a dozen really good ideas. thanks all y'all.

Back