Event Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAR 2 Stage competiton

• Good idea

• Bad idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ironnerd88

Reaction score
A quick scan of the Pink Book shows some fun events, but looking at the current record standings, it would appear that most are basically maxed out.

I am thinking that a STAGED event series would be interesting.

2 stage ALT
2 stage Payload ALT
2 stage Precision ALT
2 stage Egg loft ALT
2 stage streamer duration
2 stage parachute duration
2 stage helicopter duration
2 stage egg loft duration
2 stage precision duration

If the competion were limited to "B"-to-"B", it would be no harder than the single stage "C" events to track and time - since a 2 stage B-to-B will not go as high as a similar single-stage "C".

Of course there would have to be a stipulation that the booster MUST tumble or have a deployable recovery device (for safety, and to make things more interesting).

Just popped into my head, but I can't see a real downside.

Any thoughts?

Having not looked at the records in years I at first immediately agreed with your assertion that the records had likely stagnated over the years and probably hadn't changed much in the last 10 years or so. Then I went to the NAR website and looked at the records. I was kind of surprised. I glanced through class B and C and found that in most event categories (altitude, egg loft duration, etc.) the record had been broken in the last year or two in at least one of the motor power classes. And it wasn't in just the bigger motor classes that the records were being broken. That tells me things haven't maxed out to the extent that I would have thought.

As for a downside about the only thing I can think of would be time. There are already about 20 different flying events and throw in an extra 5 provisional events this year. NARAM is already a week long. Where do you fit in another 5-10 events?

But there must be some reason the staged events aren't in the list already. It's not like staging is a new concept that only a few have heard of!

Lack of time could be an issue, but the focus is on B-B ALT and B-B PL ALT, and maybe B-B EL ALT. So really only three new events. First year, just B-B Alt.

Besides, NjCo is right; staged rockets have been around forever. Why discriminate against them? I demand equality! :D

Actually Staging is allowed in most motor class events, as long as the combined impulse of the staged motors falls within the limit for that events motor class.

As NjCo mentioned Staging is nothing new and competitiors have researched and flown staged models where it makes competative sense.
In some cases staging is a good option, in others it has been proven to not help that much.

Actually Staging is allowed in most motor class events, as long as the combined impulse of the staged motors falls within the limit for that events motor class.

As NjCo mentioned Staging is nothing new and competitiors have researched and flown staged models where it makes competative sense.
In some cases staging is a good option, in others it has been proven to not help that much.

Right. I only put it out there because it seems like a focused staged event would be cool. And cool is good!

Last edited:
My club did a booster duration contest last year. The time the booster was in the air was the score but the rocket had to stage and the sustainer had to be recovered. I don't think the booster was impulse limited because I remember somebody planning to stage an MMX from a D (I think) until learning it was DQ if the sustainer were not recovered in condition to make another flight.

But in Ironnerd's idea, staging would be mandatory for the event. That is its raison d'être.

I like the event that JAL3 described. That sounds pretty cool.

MK

Last edited:
Back