Estes Super Nova Payloader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has a rocksim file of the estes super nova payloader. Or plans with measurements that I could enter into rocksim.

Thanks...

If you have wrasp the rocket is on there and can be simmed using it. I flew my super nova payloader on a E18 AT reload. It really zipped off the pad in a hurry.

Type in wrasp into your google search engine and you will find it. It is simulation software like rocksim only free and not as good.

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has a rocksim / open rocket file for the Estes Super Nova Payloader? We've launched it on a D12-5 and hope to on something bigger :)

I found the instructions on Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe but wanted to reach out first before I started building the simulation.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Uh... BEC... He didn't specify a kit number. I was unaware of the any other version that didn't look like the 2011/7248 version, and just thought that he put breaks in the name (which is a common error that I've seen).

Jim....I'm kinda surprised that you didn't know there was a "Super Nova Payloader" but sorry 'bout that.

Bobby, It's a pretty large model as you can see. The main body is BT-55 (in two sections) and the payload section is PST-50. Fins are plastic and so is the fin can. It is set up for 24mm motors, including E9s (now E12s).

I'll have to dig the model out to do any real measuring. Nose cone and transition are blow molded parts. Now that Estes has taken down their old kit instructions from their site it's harder to look up some details without grabbing the model if it's not on JimZ or YORP. Added: but it IS on YORP: https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2155/est2155.pdf

It came boxed and they show up on eBay from time to time.

The whole purpose of the picture was "Nova, Nova Payloader, Super Nova, Super Nova Payloader" — see how names get reused for only slightly related models. At least three of them have payload sections....

Added later: I'm looking at that info from YORP and it suggests it is only good for 24 x 70 mm motors. Which makes me wonder why I have FlightSketch data for a flight on an E12-6. Maybe there are two versions of the model. I'll have to dig in the files and see what I have (my instruction sheet from that build) ....and/or get the model out and see what I did to it to provision it for 24 x 95mm motors.

Last edited:
It's going to be kind of a busy day Thursday....but I'll try to dig the model out and maybe do a tracing of a fin. It is down pretty low in my stack of boxes of built models.

I found a PDF copy of the Estes 2002 catalog and here is the fin shape zoomed to 600 percent.
So it will at least give you the outline of the fin

600 precent.jpg

Added later: I'm looking at that info from YORP and it suggests it is only good for 24 x 70 mm motors. Which makes me wonder why I have FlightSketch data for a flight on an E12-6. Maybe there are two versions of the model. I'll have to dig in the files and see what I have (my instruction sheet from that build) ....and/or get the model out and see what I did to it to provision it for 24 x 95mm motors.

BEC - the style fin can used on this kit is really easy to mod for 24x95mm motors - I modified all my 24mm powered E2X kits for 95mm long motors, on this style fin can I just shortened the coupler type engine block tube (which is much simpler than the other style fin can where I carved out the plastic motor mount and added a standard tube type engine mount).

I’m guessing you modded your SNP and don’t remember doing it since it’s so simple to do 😉

Here is what I have come up with thus far, according to my calculations the simi fin span is 2.3 inches.
I wanna compare it to the correct fin size when it comes available . The fin shape came from a parallel image from the
side of the rocket

super nova payloader.jpg

If I can get my finances straight this may be my next upscale / scratch build
The clear tube is 36.24 long 4.0 outside diameter
The main airframe is 72.48 long 4.944 outside diameter
Total length 130 inches

An Aerotech K1275R sims out to an apogee of 4,778 feet

Upscale super nova payloader.jpg

Attachments

• super nova payloader 4 inch .ork
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nice work folks....
Yes K'Tesh, I should have specified that I used your model and found out there are TWO Super Nova Payloaders from Estes. The BLUE one is the one I'm looking for.
I used the instructions to create an ok version in Open Rocket but this one from bobby_hamill is pretty.

And BEC, that's a great looking collection! My older brother had the red one in the 80s and I'm hoping to recreate or find one sometime.

Have a great weekend gang!

Thanks for the kind words JRPoeKSU

The OpenRocket file of the Super Nova Payloader I posted above is an up scaled version
The clear section is 4.002 outside diameter and the section with the fins is 4.944 inches
Now I am working on upscaleing the decals to match

Does anyone have a photograph of the red version of the Estes Super Nova Payloader ?

I had the understanding the Estes Super Nova Payloader was only offered in 2002 and I see it
in the 2002 catalog. But I just noticed the kit was offered in the 1998 catalog on page 35

And BEC, that's a great looking collection! My older brother had the red one in the 80s and I'm hoping to recreate or find one sometime.
The Nova Payloader is a favorite of mine. I have several hundred flights across six examples of the model now. I even entered one in Classic Model at NARAM-60. That one has only been flown a couple of times, but I have another that is currently retired at flight 126, and others with dozens of flights each.

Cloning info is on JimZ but a kit is currently available (albeit with a slightly longer nose cone): https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-nova-payloader-model-rocket-skill-1 I think eRockets also sells it. This version comes in a bulk-kit style package with no colored face card.

I'll see if I can get down to where my Super NP is and get it out so as to take a picture of a fin next to a ruler. I'm not going to pop it off to scan it — sorry.

Does anyone have a photograph of the red version of the Estes Super Nova Payloader ?
It existed in red as well? All the ones I've ever seen (mostly on eBay) were blue/black.

That was how I was interpreting it....which is what sent me off on a very short dissertation (I could write MUCH more) on the #1960 Nova Payloader (now #1716).

Of course, unlike the Super NP, the Nova Payloader is a regular paper and balsa and plastic kit, so can be any color one likes. It's just that all three releases of it have used the red and white livery as my model is painted in that picture. Actually my two most recent ones (including the retired-after-126-flights model) are orange instead of red but otherwise follow the face card livery.

My most recent one has the Estes 18mm screw-on motor retainer instead of a motor hook. It only has a few flights so far.

Here is that now-retired model taking off on its 13th flight on a beta test motor that was marked "C19". This is what was later released as the Q-Jet C18W motor. The picture is a frame grab from a video, then re-downloaded from the FlightSketch online log. Flight data here:https://flightsketch.com/flights/1229/AFA267CC-D217-4333-82F8-A94EE3E49A08.png

Last edited:
I am amazed no one has called me out on saying the Super NP is BT-55 to BT-50 in a prior post, especially after looking at the group shot I posted.

It's really BT-60 to BT-55! The overall length of the BT-60 cross section part is 27 9/16 inches. The two blue BT-60s are 12 inches each. The joiner piece that carries the upper launch lug loop is 1/4 inch thick and the plastic portion of the fin can - not counting the motor retainer - is 3 5/16ths. The clear payload tube is also 12 inches long. The transition is 2 3/16ths between shoulders. The upper shoulder is 1 3/4 inches long and the lower one is 2 1/2. This is a blow-molded part, as is the nose cone, which is 5 inches long above the shoulder with a shoulder length of 1 inch (the flat part is half of that).

Fin with ruler. This was taken flat on the desk top and the iPhone crosshairs showing the phone was level were aligned so hopefully it's a true view.

There are tabs that go into the plastic fin can, of course.

IMG_7442.JPEG

added: I just checked the built model and it is indeed set up to take 3.75 inch long motors (E9/E12). I also found the instruction sheet and it looks like all one had to do is put the motor block tube in the motor mount tube such that the longer motor will fit (and perhaps trim it off at the forward end so the actual motor tube fits in the plastic fin can). I don't recall what I did.

Last edited:
@ BEC thanks for taking the fin photo . My fin length from just using a photo with no measurements was
short by a tad less than 1/2 inch . Been working on the fin decals this afternoon

in progress.jpg

Back