Estes Saturn V Tricks and Tweaks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStarStar

Reaction score
Hey, rocket geeks,

;)

Due to an actually quite unexpected birthday gift, I am now the proud father of two (2) :eek: sealed-in-the-box 1/100 Estes Saturn V kits.

(In addition to my vintage, 1969-edition, still-flightworthy Centuri Saturn V I have on display on my mantel. Looks beautiful, but I don't know if I'm gonna tempt the CATO demons or rocket-eating trees by sending her up again).

Obviously, I have on my mind actually starting to put one of these babies together in the next few weeks. So I'm just trolling for ideas for improvements/mods, little things people have tried with their kits to improve their flyability, durability, accuracy, etc.

So, right off the top, I have a few thoughts:

1) Substitute the standard 24mm Estes D/E mount with a 29mm mount with 24mm adapter, to allow use of larger Aerotech motors.

2) Modify either 2 or 4 of the outboard engine bells to accommodate either 18mm, or possibly 13mm mini-motors, to accomplish liftoff under an operating 5-engine cluster.

3) Whether 2) is accomplished or not, installing the F-1 engine bells permanently as part of the flying vehicle.

Then, my wildest dream:

4) Gap-staging the S-II stage with a 24MM motor and recovering the second stage separately from the first.

(I suppose I could also gap-stage to the S-IVB onto an 18mm, and then to the SM with a 13mm... then to the LM with a MicroMaxx... .but let's not get ridiculous here!!! :D :D )

I'd like to think I am a brilliant original-thinking genius, just busting with creative ideas, but I can't imagine all of these ideas just occurred to me, and nobody else has ever done 'em before.

Setting aside for the moment the fantasies of infinite staging, I would guess the main hurdles would be:

1) For adapting the Estes kit to F/G flying, probably tube strengthening to withstand the bigger thrust kick; and

2) For flying with the engine bells attached, probably considerable additional nose weight to keep the CG far enough forward for adequate stability.

So let's hear it: how did everybody else 'trick up' their Estes Saturn V's? What's the best way to do it??

I just did those very things recently. It's not too difficult, just watch your weight. You'll end up having to put several ounces of nose weight in to stabilize it.

Use a long 29mm motor mount and leave about 4 or 5" at the top for a parachute compartment. I'd recommend the Aerotech-style fiber centering rings since they're strong and lighter than plywood. Four rings should strengthen the airframe enough, leave one at the very end for the engine bells. I left out the center engine bell with the motor tube extending about 1/4" below the outboard engine bells, so they won't melt.

Reinforce (double up or replace it with plywood) the bulkhead on the upper stage transition.

Composite motors have more of an ejection kick than the Estes motors.

I would stick with the 24mm motor mount. An F21 motor would be plenty for the Estes Saturn V and wouldn't require much in the way of mods.

Oh, yea, a longer engine hook or a different motor retainer would be called for.

Amen. Looking back, I wish I'd stuck with that. The F21's are getting easier to find. As it is, my Saturn V's so heavy that I won't fly it on anything smaller than a G35 or F50.

The Estes Saturn V is a great model that has been around as long as the Alph...maybe longer.

It is not that difficult to build and it lends itself to easy modifications but it is all to tempting to "overbuild" it.

The F21 is the perfect motor for it.

The Saturn V is my favorite of all of the Estes rockets!

I bought the moldin oldies fin and capsule set for mine, which was a great find. the fins are cast as one piece with the shroud our of polyurethane, which makes them much stronger than the fins that estes sends. the capsule and tower are cast the same way.

I added some nose weight to ensure stable and straight flight. This worked perfectly on the 24mm AT F-39 I sent it up on this past weekend.

I saw an Estes Saturn V with a 29 mm motor mount go up on an AT G-40. It was a quick, straight flight and looked awesome going up! I am considering knocking out the 24 mm mount and going with a 29 mount and a 24mm adapter. I also want to put the bells on, mostly because I think they look cool. Clustering would be ok, other that I don't want to risk a motor not lighting and throwing it off balance.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

-Chris

I built mine to fly with the engine bells, so between the extra weight and moving the engine farther aft it really screwed up the CG. There's at least a half-pound of clay in the nose to keep it stable, which is why I'm stuck with flying it on G's. Just as well...it looks great so I don't want to fly it very often!

If it could be done over again, I'd keep the 24mm mount and beef it up for F21's. You can still fly with the engine bells, and the stock centering rings look plenty strong. I would, however, add a plywood centering ring at the forward end of the MMT for strength and a more favorable CG. Also, go with with a longer MMT so you keep the same area in the parachute compartment while extending it aft to fly with the engine bells.

Latest posts

Back