Estes Goblin and that clay in the nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy D. Jones

Reaction score
The Estes Golin has some clay they say to put into the tip of the nose cone and smoosh it in there with a stick.

Isn't that just going to come loose? G forces on takeoff are pretty stiff, so shouldn't that clay be backed up w/ some epoxy or something to keep it in place?

Last edited:
I have the Estes goblin and it has had a couple
Flights and did fine with the clay in the nose. I was using C engines

I have other low power birds that have clay in the nose and the clay seems fine and staying put the clay method has been around for a long time for Estes rockets

With High power and I am sure some mid power rockets the epoxy/bebe’s and wooden dowel method is recommended when adding nose weight. The dowels help give the epoxy something to grab onto and stay tight cause epoxy doesn’t like most Nose cone plastic and you don’t want your nose weight coming loose during flight

The Estes Golin has some clay they say to put inot the tip of the nose cone and smoosh it in there with a stick.

Isn't that just going to come loose? G forces on takeoff are pretty stiff, so shouldn't that clay be backed up w/ some epoxy or something to keep it in place?

Last edited:
I've had clay nose weight come loose.
Epoxy will work fine.
I like expanding PU foam because it's easy and less messy.
In particular original Gorilla glue (the caramel colored one) and a little water will expand and fill the void locking the weight in place. Keep the nose inverted until the foam cures.

I've had clay nose weight come loose.
Epoxy will work fine.
I like expanding PU foam because it's easy and less messy.
In particular original Gorilla glue (the caramel colored one) and a little water will expand and fill the void locking the weight in place. Keep the nose inverted until the foam cures.
The Gorilla Glue with a bit of water works just like kuririn describes - I’ve used it multiple times. On the other hand there are plenty of rockets in the fleet with plain clay nose weight that’s never budged after many flights. If the unsealed clay makes you feel uncomfortable that little bit of GG and water is quick and easy to do.

Properly pushed in tight the clay (its plasticene so it wont dry out) should stay put for a very long time, my Estes Space Shuttle orbiter built circa 1985 still has the plasticine firmly in place after nearly 40 years.

Pack it in with a stick and slam it down on your work bench a few times. Did it stay put? I bet it will.

Back