Estes AstroCam (#EST7308)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First flight of the AstroCam. Didn't care for the bland colors that the plastic was molded in so I painted them to improve appearance. Assembly was straight forward but I did add a Kevlar leader as an attachment point for the shock cord.

Overall I'm happy with the first flight. Went up on a B6. Good altitude with a nice recovery close to the pad. Camera isn't bad for the price.

Apparently I need to set the date and time as this is not 2017 :)

10.jpg
In FLight 1.jpg
In Flight 2.jpg
in flight 3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice frame captures!

I launched mine for the first time yesterday. It was a stock build except I added a home-made baffle (4 light-ply half-moons) to which I anchored a couple feet of kevlar, and then attached the rubber shock cord to the kevlar.

On the first launch (B6-4), the chute opened OK. The nose cone got a bit tangled, and the nosecone came down "sideways" so the descent video is especially dizzying.

The second flight (also on a B6-4) went "nominally," but I stupidly lined up the camera with the plastic shock cord anchor (which now does nothing but fill the hole in the BT) that sticks out obstructing the view a bit.

The third flight was on a B4-2, and the delay was definitely too short. It pulled a parachute line free, and spun a lot on the way down. I don't really know why I thought a shorter delay would be a good idea. After looking at the B6-4 videos it looks like 4s was just about right. The video might even a bit more interesting if the delay was slightly longer.

The raw video is actually a lot clearer than it appears on YouTube. Even though I had re-encoded it from mjpeg to h264 using settings recommended by Google/YouTube, YouTube must have re-encoded it with the quality level dialed down a lot. Overall, I'm really impressed the the AstroCam's quality/value. IIRC, I got it for $29 from erockets.biz. I was ordering some random supplies, and I thought I might as well make the shipping charge more worthwhile.

Flight 1:

Flight 2:

Flight 3:

Back