EO3S Egg on 3 Sporks(Spoons)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score

I saw this in Sport Rocketry March/April 2007 by Brian Nessing.
Intrigued, I built one last spring, 2010. I never got a pic of it but I flew it until the spoons broke and I could not fix it. I loved it. It did not fly very high, 60-80 feet at most using an "A", "B", "C" motor. It didn't make sense until I figured out that it spun faster on the higher power motor which prevented it from gaining too much altitude. I used the lowest eject time so the motor popped out, making it lighter. It would spin down, slowing the decent. It doesn't require wadding, parachute or streamer.
I need to find a stronger spoon for my next EO3S.
Build one and have some fun.

Daniel

EO3S 001.JPG

I saw this in Sport Rocketry March/April 2007 by Brian Nessing.
Intrigued, I built one last spring, 2010. I never got a pic of it but I flew it until the spoons broke and I could not fix it. I loved it. It did not fly very high, 60-80 feet at most using an "A", "B", "C" motor. It didn't make sense until I figured out that it spun faster on the higher power motor which prevented it from gaining too much altitude. I used the lowest eject time so the motor popped out, making it lighter. It would spin down, slowing the decent. It doesn't require wadding, parachute or streamer.
I need to find a stronger spoon for my next EO3S.
Build one and have some fun.

Daniel

Not a single comment was left? A travesty!

I think you left so many open questions:confused:, that guys just shook their heads, looked at the reply button, said "nah", and went to the next thread.

First, is that an egg, or is that a nose cone from a kit? Second, do the spoons keep it on a straight trajectory? How is the motor secured? How'd you secure the spoons? What angle?

Maybe you could try aluminum camping spoons? Light yet durable.

Oh yeah, and you could epoxy some lead shot in the top of the cone for weight.

Not a single comment was left? A travesty!

I think you left so many open questions:confused:, that guys just shook their heads, looked at the reply button, said "nah", and went to the next thread.

First, is that an egg, or is that a nose cone from a kit? Second, do the spoons keep it on a straight trajectory? How is the motor secured? How'd you secure the spoons? What angle?

Maybe you could try aluminum camping spoons? Light yet durable.

Sorry Jeff, I forgot about this posting.

1. The egg is an plastic Easter Egg that had candy in it. You can buy them in craft and/or dollar stores.
2. The spoons keep it on a pretty straight trajectory. If they are canted in any way, it will spin, which is what you want it to do.
3. Motor is friction fit, but loosely, you want it to eject out to allow the rocket to spin down slower with less weight on board.
4. The spoons are glued on with Super Glue(med). Use Accelerator.
I sanded the end of the spoon handle semi-round to better fit the round contour of the motor tube.
5. Angle is about 45 degrees.
6. Yes, you need to epoxy some lead weight to the top of the motor tube. As much as you can fit!

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the scan of the article.

Daniel

Last edited:
Back