Emma Kites cored kevlar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmith1315

Not a shrubber
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I scored an Amazon gift card through a survey at work and decided to order a roll of Kevlar with it. I've always used tubular nylon, but this is a freebie.

What I ordered and received is 50 feet of 2000lb/400lb braided line, but I didn't notice that it was cored. Nor would have I realized what that meant if I did notice it.

Overall diameter is about 5mm, and consists of a 15-20 strand jacket with three 2.5mm 12-strand tubular braids inside. Hmm.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

I had planned to use a fingertrap loop to terminate this stuff, but that doesn't make sense intuitively with this design. The outer braid is significantly less strong than if it were all one braid.
I could pull the 3 strands out and have 4 smaller cords, and that may make the most sense for me anyway. They could be braided them like @rdrown did in this thread if I needed lengths of heavier cord.

I hate to start a thread on kevlar line, but what are ways of handling this type of cored design?

Back