Eggtimer Wifi Switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit I am not electronic savvy and have had a bit of a time grasping the extra considerations & consequences of 2 Stage design & electronics choices. As I have not yet used my Raven I failed to read the manual in complete detail. But the input everyone has given so far has been very valuable to me & this has given me many options to explore if I am bent on using this wifi switch. The idea of a 1 ohm 10W resistor in series with the airstart is a solution that I can understand & easily implement. And yes I will ground test! I am sorry If I have tested some peoples patience on this subject but the bottom line is I want to learn and be safe. On subjects where opinions can widely vary it is easy to teeter when not completely in the know.

Going by the Raven's specs, if you put a 1 ohm 10W resistor in series with the airstart igniter you'll be fine with a 2S LiPo and the WiFi Switch since it can't draw more than about 8A even if the igniter dead-shorts. That will also prevent any possible brownout issues, too. Just ground test it thoroughly, of course...

When used with a power distribution board such as this one:

https://www.getfpv.com/atas-pro-mini-power-distribution-board.html

your WiFi switch is quite the capable component. I used a similar ESP8266 module and switch then started using yours to power on/off 7 different components in my AV bay and still maintain the stock functionality (real-time voltage/continuity via the UI) with the Raven. Perhaps the introduction of new products like yours and the increasing demand to integrate multiple components with the use of current battery tech (LiPo) will provide the impetus for the manufacturer to update the Raven IC with proper current limiting components. Not sure what iteration/gen the Raven 3 is, but as BobKrech alluded to above, with LiPo battery size, weight, capacity and performance only making sense to use these days I would be hesitant as a manufacturer not to update and failsafe a $155 computer on which my customers rely to bring back in one piece a vehicle I have $700 or $1000 bucks and countless hours into without having to modify for compatibility with current technologies.

Last edited:
I admit I am not electronic savvy and have had a bit of a time grasping the extra considerations & consequences of 2 Stage design & electronics choices. As I have not yet used my Raven I failed to read the manual in complete detail. But the input everyone has given so far has been very valuable to me & this has given me many options to explore if I am bent on using this wifi switch. The idea of a 1 ohm 10W resistor in series with the airstart is a solution that I can understand & easily implement. And yes I will ground test! I am sorry If I have tested some peoples patience on this subject but the bottom line is I want to learn and be safe. On subjects where opinions can widely vary it is easy to teeter when not completely in the know.

The solution Chris suggested is agreeably the most practical. Just remember to use Ohm's Law when selecting your battery and resistor and you open up a myriad of voltage ranges and LiPos you can use. Also don't worry about to which leg (-neg or +pos) you wire the resistor (in series) as the current doesn't care.

Last edited:
Hey Glenn,

Where are you on this topic, are you moving forward with Cris’ advice? I am in the same boat as you, fairly ignorant on the topic and hoping that that someone on the forum can shed some light. That is besides not being related to you, which I know I found very useful, as I am sure you did!

Back