Economical balance / scale to weigh models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'd like to be able to weigh my rockets. Where can I get a suitable balance or scale with appropriate sensitivity? In my past life I was a scientist so I know lots of scienctific supply vendors but they are $$$$ unless prices have dropped drastically.

MArc

The "cheap chinese crap" scales will be sufficient for the needs of most modelers. I have two sales from Harbor Freight that get the job done nicely.

The first is a 1 kg scale with 0.1 gram resolution and commonly found on sale for about $12. The second is a 17 kg scale with 1.0 gram resolution I think I picked up for about $25.

The important thing to note is that these same crappy scales are often sold at *much* higher prices through other vendors. Don't expect that by paying more you are getting anything any better. If you want a decent low-end digital scale, be sure to do your research.

Got a part number for the 1kg one? There are a couple I found on the website but they were up in the $40-60 range. I think the one with suitable resolution (0.1g) was $59.99 and I doubt they put this one on sale for $60. MAybe my search didn't pick it up...

The one I have is by "US Balance" Model "US-MAGNUM-1000XR". There is no specific Harbor Freight number on the box. I do know the "regular" price is in the $20 range. I don't know what your timeframe is, but if there is a HF retail store in your area, definitely get on their mailing list for the sale flyers.

BTW, most of the HF tools really are crap, and not the best deal at regular price, but just about everything goes on sale at 30-50% off at some point. However, most rocketry construction tasks are low-intensity and low-duty, so they should last a while. For example, a $20 router is *well* worth the cost just to cut centering rings.

Hi folks,

I'd like to be able to weigh my rockets. Where can I get a suitable balance or scale with appropriate sensitivity? In my past life I was a scientist so I know lots of scienctific supply vendors but they are $$$$ unless prices have dropped drastically.

MArc

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/search.aspx?find=johnny+5

I tested it successfully against a more expensive scale. There are other, bigger scales on the site.

Luck and Regards,
-LarryC

Marc:
Check the Harbor Freight catalogs they have several very inexpensive scale that work quite well.

I have a number of the 500g pocket digital scale pictured below that have proved to be as accurate as my much more expensive Palm Scale.
Hope these photo helps.

Cen-Tech Pocket 500g Scale-c-sm_2 pic_01-07-07.JPG

I steel the kitchen scale. Put some wax paper down and tare it out and then weigh. Can't recall the accuracy at the moment but they are pretty inexpensive especially with the coupons Bed Bath and Beyond and othe such places send out.

As sad as it may seem, I too was a scientist in a former life but use a combination of these three scales:

1. A baby scale
2. A cheap kitchen spring scale
3. A double balance beam that is older than me and you put together
(Well, almost)

I use a shipping scale that my wife bought at Staples on sale for about $19.

No tare function, but I just weigh the container first, then combine the container and whatever I'm trying to weigh.

G.D.

Check at Amazon.com for digital postal scales. They can be had for under $30 and you may even get free S&H.

If you are talking about a scale for measuring epoxy that is one thing and any gram scale up to 50 grams should do, my reloading scale from Dillon is great. But if you want to weigh the whole rocket and you live in a small town like I do and you know the people behind the counter at the local Post Office they have a scale that will take quite a bit of pounds.:eek: You may have to have the rocket stand on the fins or on the open end with the nose cone beside it on the scale.
I had all the, "That is cool!" and "Nice paint job!" I could stand.:clap:
I would not take a BIG one in, but for LPR to MPR of small stature they were cool with it.
But remember your milage may vary!

-Scott

NAR#91379 L0

I like the post office idea!

But I'm very happy with my $12 Harbor Frieght unit. Great for all LPR uses, and goes up to a kilogram.

I even used it to weigh our holiday cards before sending them, and found one that was missing an insert due to low weight standing out from the rest.

Rocketry has added to our lives in so many weighs!

Marc

Latest posts

Back