EASY WAY TO UPSCALE BT60 SIZE TO BT80

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
What's the proper way to upscale your favorite BT60 rocket to BT80?

What's the proper way to upscale your favorite BT60 rocket to BT80?

Divide the BT 80's diameter by the BT 60's diameter.

2.6/1.637 = 1.5882712

1.5882712 is the Scaling Factor (S/F)

Multiply all measurement from the BT 60 rocket by the S/F.

Angles no not upscale, they remain the same.

Thank you so much,This will be a future build of a Der Red Max.

Thank you so much,This will be a future build of a Der Red Max.

I do this all the time in OpenRocket. Grab an initial design of a classic kit, then upscale it simply by using the scaling feature in OR. Of course, there will be a bit of adjustment necessary after the initial scale as fin thicknesses will come out to an odd number, there won't be a nosecone that EXACTLY matches the scaled dimensions, etc.

LOADS of fun! Hope to be launching my upscaled 5.38" Der Red Max this weekend for the first time!

I do this all the time in OpenRocket. Grab an initial design of a classic kit, then upscale it simply by using the scaling feature in OR. Of course, there will be a bit of adjustment necessary after the initial scale as fin thicknesses will come out to an odd number, there won't be a nosecone that EXACTLY matches the scaled dimensions, etc.

LOADS of fun! Hope to be launching my upscaled 5.38" Der Red Max this weekend for the first time!

Sounds like a great build,hope your launch goes prefect.Would like to see some pictures of your build.Good Luck,cjp.

.....there won't be a nosecone that EXACTLY matches the scaled dimensions.....

This is pretty easy to fix.

First of all, Semroc has about a bazillion different nose cones, including many upscales and downscales, ready and waiting for you to order.

Second, there are places where you can specify a shape and size and have a NC custom-made. Places like BMS and our own Sandman give great service, have reasonable prices, and can handle just about anything you can cook up.

Third, there is almost always someone who lives "down the block" with a lathe. If you ask nicely, bring a block of balsa and their favorite six-pack, very often you can get an acceptable scaled NC turned in a few minutes.

Just sayin'

Heck, to do that you'd just need to get a Super Big Bertha kit, put a 3x24mm motor mount in it and turn the top 11 1/8 inches into a payload section.

The hardest part would be integrating the TTW fins with the new motor mount assembly.

(interesting resurrecting a decade-old thread....sadly custom nose cones from Semroc are no longer a thing.)

Back