Early Christmas Present

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
My wife gave me an early christmas present today. A full blooded black lab. He's about 6 weeks old. (he was born on Oct 1) I have named him Titan. It has been about 6 years since I've had a black lab. I love this kind of dog.

Nice...!!!

Certainly a wonderful addition to any family.

Love him... teach him, love him...give him your all,
and he will always be there for you...

And did I mention... Love him...!!!

Congratulations...!!!

Our old man Boko is a purebreed black lab.

Funny how we found him. My Dad and I were out fishing on the lake, and he swam up to the boat and tried to climb in. We helped him in and got back to the dock. Nobody had been looking for him, but the regulars said he had been around there about 2 weeks. He was a little underfed, but ok.

He was about 3, and somebody put some major bucks into his training. Snap, whistle, command, and gun trained. This is a really good dog.

Boko is 15 now, and he's showing his age. He's slowed down alot. We don't think he'll make the winter. But he's the best dog we've ever had.

~Bob

Our old man at age 13

Teach him to "fetch" and train him on the smell of spent motor casings, the perfect addition to your range crew...

Originally posted by Goddard
and he will always be there for you...

That is one of the things I love about labs. It broke my heart when I lost my last black lab. I have wanted another one ever since, but it just hasn't worked out until now.

Originally posted by JBeau
Teach him to "fetch" and train him on the smell of spent motor casings, the perfect addition to your range crew...

LOL, sounds like a good idea, but knowing how labs bite on everything, the rockets wouldn't be in too good of shape!!!! I do hope he doesn't mind the sound of rockets going off, so I can take him to launches with me.

rocket a solution to that is build HPR so he can't get his mouth on it or make your rockts stronger ;) love the dog I am supposed to be getting ,y grandma's 12 year old Weiner do who is 2 months older than me :eek: so we are practically the same age

Ben

I have one too, and he takes up half of the bed at nite and is the biggest clown. He is three now and I don't think he ever wants to grow up.

He also was a "stray" that someone put good money in. My guess he ran away because he doesn't like to be kenneled and forgotten about and was looking for a home that would love him.

He found it. Lucky mutt:D

Labs are soft mouthed, and with training, will make an excellent rocket retriever.

Scott

One thing to be careful about is roughousing with them. They are a VERY strong dog. If he clamps on to you while you're playing, its gonna hurt.

Our old man and I were playing about 4 years ago, and he clamped onto my hand (ok, I had his favorite chew toy in it at the time). God, did it hurt. It was like putting my hand in a vice. I honestly thought something had been broken. Luckily, it wasn't, but I had trouble moving my left hand for a week.

For a guard dog, I'd rather have a black lab over a doberman or a pit bull. Much more intelligent, and a hell of alot stronger. And you can trust them around your kids. They're EXCELLENT around kids. Their temperment is incredable.

~Bob

The number one breed for "dog bite" is the Labrador.

The reason is they are very very protective. A normally complacent and loving dog will bite to protect it's own.

Like when your kid plays with his friend and they start rough housing...the friend is gonna get bit...not the dogs fault!

I have a Yellow Lab and I just love her to pieces! Unfortunately, when she was a puppy she was picked up and held...a LOT!

Now at 97 pounds she still thinks she has to be on your lap! OUCH!!!

I also have a 20 pound Jack Russel Terrier...HE'S the boss!!

If he get's upset with her for taking a toy or something...he can put her right onto her back!

Dogs don't seem to have much of a concept of "size".:rolleyes:

did it occur to anyone that Sandman knows everything about anything :rolleyes: ?? He knows about nosecones,rockets, and know he's a dog expert??? :p :eek: Sand how do you do it?? My head is big enough with school let alone all this other stuff no wonder my rockets are a litle unstabe :rolleyes: :p

Ben

Originally posted by ben
did it occur to anyone that Sandman knows everything about anything :rolleyes: ?? He knows about nosecones,rockets, and know he's a dog expert??? :p :eek: Sand how do you do it?? My head is big enough with school let alone all this other stuff no wonder my rockets are a litle unstabe :rolleyes: :p

Ben

True, but Micromeister would have higly documented pictures as well...

Originally posted by MetMan

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Originally posted by MetMan
And they would include a mosquito to show scale!

Originally posted by Garnaralf
And you can trust them around your kids. They're EXCELLENT around kids. Their temperment is incredable.

My first black lab was very good around kids. He didn't like when my niece went in the water (we live on a lake). Each time my niece went into the water my dog would go in past her (in deeper that she was) and then try and push her out of the water. If she didn't get out of the water he would stay in water until she got out. He was the best dog I have ever had. I hope this puppy will turn out to be similar.

Originally posted by sandman
The number one breed for "dog bite" is the Labrador.

I did not know that. I would have guessed a pit bull or one of those.

Originally posted by sandman
Unfortunately, when she was a puppy she was picked up and held...a LOT!

Now at 97 pounds she still thinks she has to be on your lap! OUCH!!!

Well, I'm in deep trouble. This puppy has been held a lot in the last 48 hours........

Randy,

You probably already know this but...

Always keep some big towels by the door!:D

One word.

DROOL.

And lots of it.

Be prepared to get wet, even if it isn't raining.

~Bob

The Lab is high on the dog bite list because of the shear numbers, over 1 million in the US which inflates them to the top. Labs are not aggressive by nature, so to get one to be aggressive means you really have to abuse the dog. Which in my neighborhood, seems to happen a lot.

Our labs are good watchdogs, but are not aggressive at all, in fact, they sound the alarm then hide behind you while you investigate.

And they ARE LAP DOGS. There is a reason they get the nickname Lapradors. One of ours thinks she's the same size as the cat, so when the cat curls up in my lap, she thinks she has to too, all 65# of her. Then of coarse our male gets jelouse and has to join her, and the cat, on my lap, while sitting in my recliner. Ah, never a dull moment.

Of, BTW, they are constant chewers, so make sure you have a lot of things for him to chew on such as old shoes, otherwise, he's going to improvise. They are also very playful, so don't be surprised to see your underwear running around the yard because he wants to play a game of tag.

Most breeds outgrow puppyhood by 18 months, Labs remain puppies for up to three years.

They also like to dig, and according to some trainers, it is best to train the dog to use a designated digging area, otherwise he'll again improvise by taking over the flower beds.

They are also runners, and love to get loose and run. They will jump, climb, and chew through fneces, even chain link. The best containment system has been the radio fence and collar. Labs are big chickens when it comes to getting shocked. If you want to run him without a lease, then train him with a range collar when young. They are both worth the investment.

Scott

but are not aggressive at all, in fact, they sound the alarm then hide behind you while you investigate.

Zoey my Yellow Lab is afraid of thunderstorms, not during the daytime, only at night , I think it's the flashes.

She'll jump onto the bed and curl herself around my head and shivver!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ScottRC
The Lab is high on the dog bite list because of the shear numbers, over 1 million in the US which inflates them to the top.

Ok, that makes sense.

Most breeds outgrow puppyhood by 18 months, Labs remain puppies for up to three years.

Yea, I remember this with my last lab. I lost him before he turn 2, so he never got out of the puppy stage. :rolleyes: (but I loved him any way!!!)

They are also runners, and love to get loose and run. They will jump, climb, and chew through fneces, even chain link. The best containment system has been the radio fence and collar. Labs are big chickens when it comes to getting shocked. If you want to run him without a lease, then train him with a range collar when young. They are both worth the investment.

We live kind of in the country. No one has fences. All the dogs run if they really want to. The trick is teach them where home is and to show them that you love them. We have had no animals (knock on wood) run away. It might sound weird to some people, but that is just the way everyone does it. Of course, the people closer to town have the normal chain link fences etc.

Back