Double Charge Wells?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I recently saw an A/V bay pictured (was Facebook or here) that had a double charge well. It WAS NOT two wells side by side. It was a one piece that had two round charge wells. Looking top down, it had a figure 8 / hourglass shape. And appeared to be a similar plastic type like the DogHouse style. Is anyone familiar with this charge well and where is can be found?

Last edited:
Never heard of it. Sounds impractical for redundant DD, since the wells need to be far enough apart to prevent one from igniting the other.

But if you can find the picture, I'm sure you'll get someone who knows something.

Never heard of it. Sounds impractical for redundant DD, since the wells need to be far enough apart to prevent one from igniting the other.

But if you can find the picture, I'm sure you'll get someone who knows something.

I think if you can seal the tops well enough that can be prevented from happening no? Old time revolvers had hand loaded bp and ball ammunition. The cylinders were topped off with beeswax (I think) to prevent the adjacent cylinder from firing.

I think if you can seal the tops well enough that can be prevented from happening no? Old time revolvers had hand loaded bp and ball ammunition. The cylinders were topped off with beeswax (I think) to prevent the adjacent cylinder from firing.

Mostly the bullet seated over the powder charge was what kept the adjacent charges from going off, but the bullet lube did also help with that.

I use them on four AV bays 3" and 4". They are made by/for Proline Rocketry, I think Gary Tortora was one of the individuals that created them. They are reliable, except the red end caps can be a bit finicky and sometimes want to pop out but some masking tape fixes that. They are easy to use and easy to manage in the field...just pricey.

https://prolinerocketry.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=184

View attachment 279190

View attachment 279191

View attachment 279192

View attachment 279193

View attachment 279194

I also know a few folks who use them and have had issues with blow by/leaks.

I knew somebody would know! lol. I never knew if they'd be practical or not, but I wanted to explore the option in conjunction with my new A/V bay design. There's always DogHouse canisters.

I can't find them on proline's page. I did manage to find an bulkhead with them already attached. Guess DogHouse will win this one.

Last edited:
Back