Do tile trackers work on rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Draney

Reaction score
I’ve heard some good and some bad things about tile trackers and putting them on rockets. Would they work for a flight to about 4500ft with dual deploy? I’m not sure what the range is on them or how dependable they are.

If you have a general idea of where the rocket landed then a short range locator works. You just need to get close enough to pick up the signal.
I use a very low power DIY RF beacons on small rockets when the corn is up. Range is about 50 feet but have always been able to pick up the signal and RDF to the rocket.

If rocket goes Out of Sight or where it landed is hard to see then a longer range finder is desired.

If you have a general idea of where the rocket landed then a short range locator works. You just need to get close enough to pick up the signal.
I use a very low power DIY RF beacons on small rockets when the corn is up. Range is about 50 feet but have always been able to pick up the signal and RDF to the rocket.

If rocket goes Out of Sight or where it landed is hard to see then a longer range finder is desired.
Or a beeper, beacon, alarm or amplified speaker to close in on the rocket.

Tile trackers are bluetooth. The range can vary greatly, depending on frequency. The lower the frequency, the farther the range and the less data it can transmit.
The way they located distance Tiles, is they record the GPS of your phone the last time you had contact with the Tile. That works if you drop the tile and it doesn't move. Doesn't work at all if the Tile is in a rocket and moving when you lose contact.

Back