Distance Calculator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper_52

Reaction score
Is there a calculator out there to estimate downwind distance from launch?

I've written a small routine in excel but am trying to convert this into a hand held device for field use.

Thanks in advance.

RockSim does it. OpenRocket might, not sure.
Can't find it in OpenRocket. I've got the formula figured out but you still need to know some of the estimated data from the Simulation before you can calculate it. I'm converting it right now into Autocad then into a pdf that you can print. I'll give it away here but for personal use only. It involves printing the base sheet and a clear overlay sheet. I'll explain how to use it after I post it.

I don't see wind speed on the sim but you must have entered it somewhere. On the shown pic I'm assuming that launch is to the far left so I'm confused by the data point at ground level at 100 ft. What is it?

Got it. Thanks. What would be the max wind speed that you should or want to launch. I had a great little 2 stage about 52 years ago that I launched into an estimated 15mph headwind. When it came out of the clouds it was hauling ass. Got into the car to try and chase it but lost sight of it.Bye bye. We thought it must have traveled 2-3 miles. Wind kept it up.

NAR Model Rocket Safety Code.

9. Launch Site
I will launch my rocket outdoors, in an open area at least as large as shown in the accompanying table, and in safe weather conditions with wind speeds no greater than 20 miles per hour. I will ensure that there is no dry grass close to the launch pad, and that the launch site does not present risk of grass fires.

When I post this calc, for those that don't carry a laptop with them to the launch, tell me what you think.

Jesus, I guess that's why they call it Rocket Science. So from this image, the rocket heads into the wind from a vertical launch due to the rocket's tendency to head into the wind, correct? If I'm reading this correct, with a 6mph wind the rocket would land aprox 300 feet downwind.

Attachments

• Question 1.jpg
    Question 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You are reading that right. What if the rocket doesn't weather cock like shown in the sim? I don't even bother looking to see what a sim says as far as wind and a particular rocket goes, to many variables at an actual launch. I go by what is happening on launch day. To me that feature is pretty much useless.

We do provide that (as other people have said), but the estimate is just based on the wind speed and direction you put in. Remember that winds 100 feet up can be drastically different than at ground level, so I'm really not sure how useful the estimate is. There was a plugin for 15.03 that would let you put in the winds at various altitudes; I think someone may have updated that for the current version, but I don't really know.

Back