digital camera flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanboy

Reaction score
Looking to stuff a digital camera on a mid-power rocket for aerial photography and video.

Looks like the Panasonic DMC-FX-series meets all of my needs, plus a bonus:

Small
at least 320x240 video at 30fps
BONUS: Image stabilization

I've seen plenty of photos/video from camera flights, all look a little so-so. Thinking the camera stabilization combined with a payload section with camera that comes down separate from the rocket body, could get some decent video/stills with a minimum of blurry/bouncing around images/video.

Anybody try the FX series for aerial photography before? Any other cameras that offer up the same specs that have been out for a while (in other words, are cheap?)

Thanks!

-B

I've never seen that particular camera - got a product link somwhere...? :)

I don't know what you mean when you say the pictures and videos come out 'so-so'. My pics and videos usually come out pretty good. Check out My Homepage for my first flight video and a link to my photo album. Now, I'll grant that a 320X200-pixel video looks rather grainy when expanded to a 1280X1024-pixel screen... but that's hardly the fault of the camera. ;)

I've modified three digital cameras for flight, although only one has been flown so far. I've had good luck with the HP PhotoSmart series of digital cameras - my current build project will employ two of them, plus a film camera for outward-looking as well as downward-looking videos. I'm always looking for new digitals to check out and maybe modify for flight.

There was one site out there. Bunch of red and yellow painted rockets, flown from the southwest somewhere. Great photographs. Of course I can't find the URL anymore. Anybody know the site I'm talking about?

-B

Originally posted by Beanboy
There was one site out there. Bunch of red and yellow painted rockets, flown from the southwest somewhere. Great photographs. Of course I can't find the URL anymore. Anybody know the site I'm talking about?

-B

Ya, are you talking about Ray Dunakin? He takes some outstanding arial photos! here is a page with some of his pictures:
https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3009006
He is also a memeber on TRF here is his profile:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=446
Hope this helps

Doug? His footage is INCREDIBLE. I was priveledged enough to see a film projection (full resolution) from a K555 onboard high speed film camera. Absolutely PHENOMENAL quality, and great flight sequence. Absolutely amazing.

Back