CTI Spacers with 4gr case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northbendbob

Reaction score
I got my first HP kit to get my level one.... it's a Madcow Phoenix... Mike at madcow says use a 2-4 gr motor... has anybody used 2 spacers in a 4gr case?? the video on Apogee says 2 spacers can be used, but I was wondering if anybody ever had a problem with ejection or anything doing that... thanks in advance for any replies!!

I got my first HP kit to get my level one.... it's a Madcow Phoenix... Mike at madcow says use a 2-4 gr motor... has anybody used 2 spacers in a 4gr case?? the video on Apogee says 2 spacers can be used, but I was wondering if anybody ever had a problem with ejection or anything doing that... thanks in advance for any replies!!

I've used 2 spacers in a 3G case without any issues. I don't see why you would have any issues with your 4G case. The only case that is "special" is the 6XL cases.

CAR, NAR and TRA allow for the use of not more than 2 spacers with any reload kit.

The assembled motor weight of a longer motor casing and the weight of the spacers is greater than the optimal lenght casing, the thrust to weight ratio of a reload in a longer casing with a spacer or two is lower than the optimum length casing without a spacer. For example, a single space and a 1 g longer Pro38 casing weighs 50 grams more than the optimally designed casing. 2 spacers add an additional 50 g, for a total additional weight of 100 g. https://pro38.com/pdfs/Pro38_Case_Spacer.pdf

This extra weight will lower the apogee compared with the optimally designed spacer and may require a 2 second shorter delay so you need to run a sim with a 100 g addition rocket weight for 2 spacers with a Pro38 reload with 2 spacers, but otherwise will not change the reload performance significantly.

Bob

I used 2 spacers in a 38 just this past weekend. I have a couple times. You won't have any problems using 2 spacers, but don't use more than that. The only time I worried about ejection was when I had a Long 4 inch airframe and I needed more charge to make sure it worked.

Good luck on L1

John

I usually get a 3 grain and 6 grain case, so i can fly anything 1-6. You could also get a 4 and a 6XL if you wanted to sacrifice the ability to fly 1 grain loads to get the use of the 6XL stuff

CAR, NAR and TRA allow for the use of not more than 2 spacers with any reload kit.

The assembled motor weight of a longer motor casing and the weight of the spacers is greater than the optimal lenght casing, the thrust to weight ratio of a reload in a longer casing with a spacer or two is lower than the optimum length casing without a spacer. For example, a single space and a 1 g longer Pro38 casing weighs 50 grams more than the optimally designed casing. 2 spacers add an additional 50 g, for a total additional weight of 100 g. https://pro38.com/pdfs/Pro38_Case_Spacer.pdf

This extra weight will lower the apogee compared with the optimally designed spacer and may require a 2 second shorter delay so you need to run a sim with a 100 g addition rocket weight for 2 spacers with a Pro38 reload with 2 spacers, but otherwise will not change the reload performance significantly.

Bob

2 second shorter delay??? We're talking a 100g or 3.5 oz. 2 - 4 grain CTI motors are large H through I size. Do you really think 100g is going to make a 2 second difference in time to apogee? I would guess the difference would be more like 0.2 sec.

Don't disagree. It all depends on the weight of the rocket with a standard motor and a motor with spacers. A lightweigh, minimum diameter rocket would be the most sensitive. The point is do a quick simulation to see if you have to shorten the delay.

Bob

Yes, the light MD would be the most effected. I suspect that most of those probably don't have enough delay available already and could probably use lengthening, even with a spacer.

Your right, always do a sim.

a 2 grain 29 is a G so I doubt that 100 grams is 2 seconds as well, but sims are where it's at....I'd love to see what the difference is in the pheonix. I certainly wouldn't cut down the delay for 3 ounces on a G motor..but hey, I could be wrong, it's happened before. :D The most sensitive would be that min diameter screamer, but hey, the delay's too short so you're using electronics anyhow!

Back