Corporal LeBeau, RIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew that Robert Clary had been numbered by the NAZI despots, but I didn't realize that John Banner had a similar history.
Somewhere on Netflix there is a program where the dwindling numbers of survivors are interviewed and it is worth finding and viewing.

Me, neither. Did, however, learn within the last few years, that John Banner was Jewish and like playing Schultz as a buffoon.
Werner Klemperer (Col. Klink) was also Jewish and didn't mind mocking the Nazis.. He told the producers of the show, and may have had it in his contract as well, if the showrunners ever provided a script where Klink won, he would quit the show.

I had to look up the Hindenburg movie to view the Robert Clary scenes. Hadn't viewed the film since it first reeled.

Turns out that Hogan's Heroes was actually based on the book Hogan's Hoard, and Col. Robt. E. Hogan was a real person. A friend met him at the EAA Fly-In many years ago. Hogan said that the real Germans were not nearly as funny btw.

Many of the actors who portrayed Germans on the show had Jewish backgrounds, Colonel Klink, General Burkhalter, Major Hochstetter and Sgt. Schulz.

John Banner (Schultz) was never in a concentration camp. He was Jewish. He became an actor and while in Switzerland performing in 1938, he emigrated to the US because of Hitler annexed Austria where he was born. He enlisted in the USAAC in 1942 and served as a supply sergeant. He did lose a large number of family members in the Holocaust.

As crazy as some of the things in the show were portrayed; many of them were eerily similar to some of the things described by German Colonel Hans von Luck in his book Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck. The Colonel was captured by the Russians and spent years in a prison camp after the war. There were no clandestine operations like in the show, but other things were pretty strange. Two examples: work details would keep an eye out for Russian officers while the Russian conscript guard took a nap. If an officer was spotted, they would grab the soldier's gun, wake him up and push the rifle into his hands. Another odd thing was when he was in North Africa, they set up an arrangement with the British to only work/fight, from 8 to 5. If they encountered an enemy patrol outside of working hours, they would point them back to their lines and send them on their way.

Latest posts

Back