Convair Shuttle Concept Wind Tunnel Model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
".006 scale" I wonder how big it actually is. It would make a great master for vacuum forming flying shuttle models!! I love those early shuttle concepts.
Drew Tomko

$25,000?!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Seriously, the seller is DREAMING. This is funnier than the guy who was asking $1,000 for a built Estes Stratoblaster plus like $250 for shipping.

Originally posted by vjp
$25,000?!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Seriously, the seller is DREAMING. This is funnier than the guy who was asking $1,000 for a built Estes Stratoblaster plus like $250 for shipping.

Very true. If he's really hoping it lands in a good home I would think a donation to a museum like the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville or the space museum in Kansas would be a better bet than putting "on the market" on E-Bay...

Drew...0.006 works out to be 1/166.667 scale. What's the scale of your Energia-Buran??? :D

Jason

Drew's Buran is 1/162, so that's dang near close enough!

Artifacts from the space program like this go up for auction all the time, so although this wind tunnel model might be unique it's hardly special. Still, with the publicity he's getting (just what made this TV news department think this was NEWS?) he could probably fetch a decent sum, if he brought his reserve down to a REASONABLE figure.

And by decent sum, I'm still thinking under a thousand bucks.

Hmmm. The Convair design was more massive than Buran, but that's still not a very big model. It's nicely broken down so someone could use it as a master to make resin models. It's tempting; you could probably make back the $25,000 investment . . . . in about 200,000 years!
Drew

Hmm, no bids, and he re-listed (and he didn't even lower his starting bid).

I sent him an offer, I'll let you know his reply.

It's a lowball offer, but it may make him come down to earth and realize he's not sitting on a gold mine - just a bauxite mine.

I offered him $250, plus $50 for shipping.

He politely declined, telling me that I "left out a couple of zeros".

:D

....do you think he meant that I forgot to add cents, i.e. $250.00? :D :D :D

In any case, he's still dreaming of getting $25,000 for this, and stated he will probably donate it to the Smithsonian. Well, I hope he's not counting on them writing him a tax receipt for $25,000 for his tax deduction, or he'll be a little bit disappointed ;)

Here's the link, if you are inclined to spend that $25K burning a hole in your back pocket:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7707161813

Originally posted by vjp

]

I think the offer of $50 for shipping was a little too generous:D

Originally posted by vjp

VJP,

Well, you tried! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Hmmm...40 minutes left...Do I bid? Do I bid --- NOPE!

Maybe he should take it to Antique Roadshow before he relists again. :D

Jason

Back