Community Garden Plots

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used a community garden plot? What was your experience?

A local church manages a garden just outside our neighborhood and are about to open up the sign ups for this year. They only ask for $30 for a 10'x20' plot and they'll till it, have a shed with community tools, and have water available. Everything else is up to you. It's tempting because my backyard is densely shaded. I have a South facing strip on the side of my garage, but can only fit a small bed without getting in the way of neighbors fence and an extension on my driveway.

Has anyone here ever used a community garden plot? What was your experience?

A local church manages a garden just outside our neighborhood and are about to open up the sign ups for this year. They only ask for $30 for a 10'x20' plot and they'll till it, have a shed with community tools, and have water available. Everything else is up to you. It's tempting because my backyard is densely shaded. I have a South facing strip on the side of my garage, but can only fit a small bed without getting in the way of neighbors fence and an extension on my driveway.
They are super-popular out here, with long waiting lists.

I have not used one, but I know people who have and really enjoy it. A 10x20 plot is pretty good sized by standards around here. What are you thinking about growing?

Depends on your particular community, but in my experience community gardens are often fantastic and well worth taking part in.
$30 for a 10x20 plot, with community tools, close by, and water available is pretty hard to beat, especially if you don't have a practical option at home.

Usually, again depending on your particular "locals", you end up trading out things with other folks in the group....ie: you grow stuff they don't, and vice versa, and you each "share the bounty" a bit. And you can share some of the weeding and pest control chores. Or you can go it alone and just do your own thing however you want....either way works fine.

I say go for it.

s6

I have not used one, but I know people who have and really enjoy it. A 10x20 plot is pretty good sized by standards around here. What are you thinking about growing?
I'm thinking about growing a few types of tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce and likely some basil or other companion herbs to the tomatoes. I think 10x20 should be plenty for that, there's only 3 of us.

Our church has one that we use because our yard is too shaded to grow anything. Oddly, we can't get get enough people interested to use the available plots even though the plots are free.

Back