Chinese Weather Balloons, and Should You Worry About Them?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(puts first cup of coffee down)

OK let me pull this one back, underneath our joking is a real story. Did we shoot this thing down or not? It's not clear in the press and other news has pushed this out of the headlines.

By the second cup I'll remember how the Internet works and do a little digging. But I think we did not down it?

(puts first cup of coffee down)

OK let me pull this one back, underneath our joking is a real story. Did we shoot this thing down or not? It's not clear in the press and other news has pushed this out of the headlines.

By the second cup I'll remember how the Internet works and do a little digging. But I think we did not down it?
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4487689-balloon-intercepted-likely-related-to-hobby-officials/
Sounds like we just confirmed it wasn't anything significant and let it drift away.

This one is trying to lull us into a false sense of security.
Which raises a question: how many high altitude balloons are released each year in the US by non-government groups? If we're talking into the hundreds, it would be really hard to determine if the Chinese were flying a few balloons launched locally.

Back