Chad staged Estes Jinx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Chad staging...if I understand it correctly... it's when you just tape a booster engine directly to the sustainer motor without a booster body. Ya just let the motor stick out the back.

This didn't seem like such a bright idea when I heard of it but...big but.

I got to see a crappy Estes Jinx (it's a flying saucer type thingy that comes ready to fly) chad staged with a D12-0 booster and a C6-5 sustainer.

Very very cool flight, loud, lots of fire, smoke, and noise and all within about 250 of the launch pad.

Very stable too!

Try it.

sandman

CHAD staging is loads of fun! I've done it to my Edmunds Deltie Thunder and DER V-3 before. Before I was an "off-the-cuff" scratchbuilder, I used to think that only Estes 2-Stagers could fly with 2 motors. I always thought that lower booster would fly off without that lower stage.

CHAD stands for something, but I don't remember.

A quick note before you try it - make sure your CP/CG is correct!

CHAD stands for CHeap And Dirty.

I went to a HPR launch yesterday, and saw an estes flying saucer chad stage..... also saw an Estes flying saucer rocket that somebody went and put a G35 up its butt..... flew great too :)

I've only CHAD staged two rockets. One is the Estes RTF saucer and the other is the remnants of a long BT-50 rocket (might have been considered a superroc before a D21 ate it). Both were D12 to C6. Hmm a G35 in an Estes Saucer....

The owner of Commonwealth Displays told me he had a customer stick an F100 up the rear of that saucer. I said "Cool".
How often do you get to have 10 inches of engine sticking out of your rockets?

Back