Building a Quest Astra 1 - Anything I Should Know?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have this rocket, or have you had it before?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Co-leader of the LRP

stability is overrated
Reaction score
I got an Astra 1 rocket (by Quest) for Christmas, and I just started building it today. I noticed that the motor mount tube seems a tad flimsy, so I put a used motor in it for during-assembly reinforcement. Does anyone else have anything I should know about it?

Update: Fins to be glued on next. I accidentally sanded them a bit much, as they are softer than the fins which I got with my Estes crossfire ISX, which was my only other rocket, and is still up in a tree after almost three months.

Sliding in a used motor casing is a good idea for reinforcement while building.

If you have a motor mount tube that is yellow, it will feel thin.
Those were used as diameter "spacers and insulators" as the Quest tubes are metric - 20mm, 35mm, 40mm, etc.
The yellow tube is usually slipped in or glued into a 20mm tube for a better fit of an 18mm diameter motor.
Some kits use the Quest yellow tubes by themselves, no 20mm tube around them.

You should be fine for general launches, but if you run into this again, you could change it
out for a stronger tube.
Test fit the rings - A slightly larger diameter replacement tube might require peeling a wrap from the inside of the centering rings.

Last edited:
Yes, my motor mount tube is yellow. Thank you for the information, @hcmbanjo. Also, can someone please help me? I glued the motor mount in, and the motor casing I used to reinforce the motor mount during assembly is stuck and I can't pull it out. I think I may have accidentally gotten some glue on it. Can anyone share a technique on how to remove it, as this must've happened to at least one of you experts.

I cut out and tied the strings on the parachute. That was kind of difficult, especially because I have clumsy fingers so not good for tying knots in tiny strings, and because the thin, garbage-bag like chute plastic wouldn't cut properly. And I even used sharp scissors! I half wish it was an Estes kit with a pre-assembled parachute. Anyways, it's all ready for painting. Now I just have to wait until spring because it's too wet and humid here to do any painting at all in the winter.

Spread the chute sheet out on a flat surface and use an xacto knife (with some sort of backer if the flat surface isn't to be scratched). The xacto knife is an invaluable tool for all sizes of rocketry. I recommend you grab one next time you're at Walmart or Target

Spread the chute sheet out on a flat surface and use an xacto knife (with some sort of backer if the flat surface isn't to be scratched). The xacto knife is an invaluable tool for all sizes of rocketry. I recommend you grab one next time you're at Walmart or Target
I have one, I just didn't think of using it for that.

I always cut my parachutes with scissors, never had a problem. Important: always cut as close to the hinge as possible (scissors opened wide).

Yes, my motor mount tube is yellow. Thank you for the information, @hcmbanjo. Also, can someone please help me? I glued the motor mount in, and the motor casing I used to reinforce the motor mount during assembly is stuck and I can't pull it out. I think I may have accidentally gotten some glue on it. Can anyone share a technique on how to remove it, as this must've happened to at least one of you experts.
Well, it depends on how much glue is holding it in place. How much of the old motor casing is sticking out? If I could grab a bit, I would try channel lock pliers and see if I could rotate it and bust it loose, then pull it out. You could also try a large dowel and see if you can push it out from the top.

@gna, I was going to get pliers, but then I realized that I accidentally grabbed an unused motor instead of a casing, so I can just fly the rocket and then deal with it from there. It must've fell out of the box and so I thought it wasn't used. Stupid me.:angiefavorite:

@gna, I was going to get pliers, but then I realized that I accidentally grabbed an unused motor instead of a casing, so I can just fly the rocket and then deal with it from there. It must've fell out of the box and so I thought it wasn't used. Stupid me.:angiefavorite:
Bring pliers with you in your range box. The heat may help loosen the glue, so fly it and try it.

Back