BRB 900 G Switch Settings? Help pls

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I have the upgraded BRB900 with the memory and the G switch. It has flown a few times, but, not always logging data. I have tried to set it G switch off, and it doesnt seem to record at all, then G switch enabled, and I have got a few logs from it, I am thinking it may be the sensitivity of the switch itself and hoping someone out there has technical brain switch on too.

Details
Flight Motor Outcome
1 H225 No saved data (nsd)
2 J270 nsd
3 J425 Data saved
4 I350 Data saved
5 H153 nsd
6 I212 nsd

Anyone have any ideas?

Indeed it seems like the low thrust motors don't activate it. What weight rocket is this in?

I should hope a 200N motor will activate it... I'll fly ours next week at ROCStock and see if it responds accurately.

Indeed it seems like the low thrust motors don't activate it. What weight rocket is this in?

2 different rockets, 3lb and 5.5lb

I must admit that these motors and rockets are at the low end of needing a tracker, but, its DATA and I am a data hound.

The BRB900 should continuously record data regardless of the G-switch setting.

1) Make sure the "enable data logging" and "store interval" are set correctly.
2) Clear the flash
3) now cycle power, and give it a clear view of the sky so it will lock (the LED will blink)
4) Leave it this way for a few minutes so it records some data
5) now bring it back in, cycle power again so you can do a "read" and then "read flash"

You should now have a .kml file with valid data in it.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions -- we'll get it working!

Greg

Current settings are like this.
brbsettings.jpg

Just cleared flash memory and taking it for a drive now.

Is it possible to get this unit upgraded from simple wire aerial to a rubber ducky?

Please turn NMEA OFF unless you really need it -- it's going to cause it to transmit everything the GPS spits out once every second, and adversely affect your ability to relock after motor boost (not to mention shorter battery life). In my opinion, getting a position report once every 5 seconds is plenty. If you must have NMEA, then turn BRB off, and use the Trimble software to change the NMEA output rate to once every 5 seconds.

Regarding rubber duck: Again, a personal choice, but I do find that the wire whip antenna is a better match for rocketry. The rubber duck is kinda heavy, and involves a u.fl to RP-SMA adapter cable that plugs into the board. You can certainly unsolder the existing wire, and snap on the adapter cable if you wish.

More antenna pictures are here: https://bigredbee.com/brb900_antenna.htm

I recommend 1, and also offer option 3. Option 2 isn't available any more, the direct attach antenna w/ RP-SMA connector resulted in quite few broken boards.

Last edited:
Back