booster for pml mini-bbx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askrob

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built a PML mini-bbx about 20 years ago. What lured me to the kit was the ability to add a booster in the future. I'm now thinking of doing it, but a lot has changed in those 20 years. The booster was 2.5 in diameter, but LOC sales a 3 in. diameter. It also used an interstage coupler, uruthane transition, and a phenolic tube that goes into the tail cone of the mini-bbx.

Image.png

Since a lot has changed, I thought about 3d printing a transition from the LOC 3 in. terrier booster to my mini-bbx. I'd put an Eggtimer Proton in the transition for igniting the second stage, though not sure how I'd fit the proton in. The other thought would be somehow acquire all the pieces that was original to the booster. Thanks to the printed rocketry group on Facebook, they found the interstage coupler (https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Modules/IS/26)

I'd like opinions if that's even a good idea or would something else be better? This is the first time I've looked at staging.

Thanks,
Andrew Krob
L2
TRA: 08702

You can still get the original transition from LOC if you ask them nicely and they have any left. Over a year ago I wanted to get a PML MiniBBX and Terrirer Booster and found out they were no longer available. So I thought I would scratch build one. LOC has tail cones listed so I asked if the 2.1 to 1.1 was the same tail cone that was in the MiniBBX kit. A few days later I got a email stating they were not the same but they found a box of the tail cones for the MiniBBX and had a few of the transitions and told me If I bought the tail cone he would throw in the transition. IMG_1001.jpg

Back