Boney Fingers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVERFOX

Reaction score
That's all I've achieved working to cleanup my new 1200 N/S engine hardware after flying with a J-350 Sparky Load. The paper liner seems to have turned to slag and welded itself to the inside of the 54mm tube! I don't want to do anything to scratch it up and soaking in penetrating oil does nothing to soften it up. I'm thinking of immersion in gasoline for a while but thought I should post this and see if HP experienced guys might have a magic trick up they might share with me.

I’m assuming it’s a 38mm load.
I did some research.

What type of hardware are you using?
Is it Loki? I didn’t find any J350 sparky loads for anything like CTI or AT.
I wouldn’t recommend submerging it in gasoline.
How much of the liner is stuck in the case?

See if you could pry it up with a knife or something along those lines. I’d try that first before getting gas involved.

Would you mind attaching some photos possibly? I’d like to see what we are working with here.

A little advice for future reference, if you didn’t know this already, just lather a thin layer of grease on the outside of the liner before you insert the load into the case. It usually helps in situations like these with cleanup.

William

I've done the exact same thing. For the future: take it apart when it's still warm. For now, get a 3/8" dowel, cut it at an angle so it has a point, and use that to slowly pry pieces off the wall of the case. when there's something sticking off, you can pull it out with plyers. The wood won't damage the aluminum of the case. It took me a long time and lot of prying to get the liner out this way, but I eventually did.

Thanks for the good advice guys. This is a Loki 54 mm case, and yes, it sat for about a week before I even started cleanup. (My Bad) Just about the entire liner is stuck. I used petroleum jelly very lightly on the ends of the tube and o-rings when I assembled the motor. I think in the future I'll coat the entire liner with hi-temp synthetic brake caliper lube and disassemble right after launch as soon as it's cool enough. Lesson learned. Guess I'd better continue working my fingers to the bone, and make this case pretty.

If the wooden dowel doesn't work you can try this:

Stick it in the oven at 200 for 10min or so. Thst should liquefy the petroleum jelly again. Once heated up, use a closure to push everything out. You can also use an arbor press.

That's all I've achieved working to cleanup my new 1200 N/S engine hardware after flying with a J-350 Sparky Load. The paper liner seems to have turned to slag and welded itself to the inside of the 54mm tube! I don't want to do anything to scratch it up and soaking in penetrating oil does nothing to soften it up. I'm thinking of immersion in gasoline for a while but thought I should post this and see if HP experienced guys might have a magic trick up they might share with me.
Fox, gave all my Loki stuff to a friend who does more out of state travel than I. Send me your snail mail addy and I will send you a syringe of some German stuff I use not currently avail due to supply chain issues. A little goes a long way, but try it for yourself. You could donate $5.00 to a 5th grade STEM teacher in Florida. Totally optional as shipping would be $4.75, which I'm totally willing to eat so you can try this. My email ( and pp) is
'[email protected]'

Literally the easiest thing to do is install the forward bulkhead and dump boiling ( yes boiling ) water into the case repeatedly . The liner will soften up . Then using a set of needle nose pliers , push into the liner between the case . Grab on and start twisting. It will loosen and pull the liner right out . If not , send it my way I'll extract and clean it and send it back .

Literally the easiest thing to do is install the forward bulkhead and dump boiling ( yes boiling ) water into the case repeatedly . The liner will soften up . Then using a set of needle nose pliers , push into the liner between the case . Grab on and start twisting. It will loosen and pull the liner right out . If not , send it my way I'll extract and clean it and send it back .
Thank you for the generous offer, and I will give your method a try (when my wife is not at home) Can't wait to give it a shot.

I've used a 0° tip on a power washer that has 200° water (if the liner is cardboard phenolic). It cuts the liner right out and softens the grease at the same time. Took me longer to heat up the power washer than it did to cut out the liner. This was on a 40" long 75mm case. On a 38mm, be careful not to cut your toes off...

Latest posts

Back