boattail using OR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I'm looking at building a rocket using a nosecone as a boattail. It's an "elliptical" shape rather than conical. Is there any way to "reverse" the layout direction in OR?

Model it as a transition - the aft diameter is the od of the mmt, the aft shoulder has 0 length. Pick the correct shape and play with the parameters until it looks correct.

Model it as a transition - the aft diameter is the od of the mmt, the aft shoulder has 0 length. Pick the correct shape and play with the parameters until it looks correct.

How do you design a transition that is not a cone, ie. does not have straight walls?

How do you design a transition that is not a cone, ie. does not have straight walls?

If I understand you correctly you want to build a rocket with a boat tail similar to the one on this rocket: BoatStar4.jpg
If that's the case, just click on the transition > Edit > Transition Shape, and choose the one you want from the list of possibilities.

Hope this helps!:)

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly you want to build a rocket with a boat tail similar to the one on this rocket: View attachment 145423
If that's the case, just click on the transition > Edit > Transition Shape, and choose the one you want from the list of possibilities.

Hope this helps!:)

That's it! Don't see how I missed that! Now let's see if I can get the rest of the thing to fit!

Back