Blue Moon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
The phrase “once in a blue moon” is rooted in the definition of a blue moon.

The second full moon in a calendar month is called the Blue Moon. This is an uncommon event in most years.

Tonight, Halloween or Samhain ( pronounced “Saa-ween”) as Gaelic speakers call it, we will have the Blue Moon.

Now you know.

I had a boss that used to let us go home early if there was a blue moon. :)

The phrase “once in a blue moon” is rooted in the definition of a blue moon.

The second full moon in a calendar month is called the Blue Moon. This is an uncommon event in most years.

Tonight, Halloween or Samhain ( pronounced “Saa-ween”) as Gaelic speakers call it, we will have the Blue Moon.

Now you know.
Actually, that is one of the two definitions of a blue moon. The astronomical definition of a blue moon is the third full moon in a season that has 4 full moons. Since I also do astronomy I learned that definition first. You actually get more months where there are two full moons in a calendar month than by using the astronomical definition. The blue moon this month is not an astronomical blue moon - the last one was May 18, 2019 and the next one is August 21, 2021. Between 2010 and 2021 there are only 5 astronomical blue moons, while there are 9 two-in-one-month blue moons.

Actually, that is one of the two definitions of a blue moon. The astronomical definition of a blue moon is the third full moon in a season that has 4 full moons. Since I also do astronomy I learned that definition first. You actually get more months where there are two full moons in a calendar month than by using the astronomical definition. The blue moon this month is not an astronomical blue moon - the last one was May 18, 2019 and the next one is August 21, 2021. Between 2010 and 2021 there are only 5 astronomical blue moons, while there are 9 two-in-one-month blue moons.
How often is one both? TIL something new!

The two-in-a-month definition comes from a writer for Sky&Telescope misunderstanding the term in 1946. The "third in a season with four" is the original.

It was too hazy last night to get a good picture, but this was from two nights ago.
Taken from my driveway outside Las Cruces, NM. Zoomed mostly all the way with the 18-300mm.
PENTAX K-S2, ƒ/6.3, 1/320, 280mm, ISO800

IMG_7599ps.jpg

Here's the sunset on Halloween, taken from my back yard with my old iPhone 5.

IMG_5487s.jpg

Bom ba ba bom ba bom ba bom bom
Bom ba ba bom ba bom ba bom bom
Dang a dang dang ding a dong ding

It was a weird 4-fecta in Seattle last night. Full moon, blue moon, Halloween, nice weather. I can’t tell you how often Halloween is a nasty rainy windy affair. There were a fair number of parties where people were hanging out in their yard or in the street, for the most part spaced out pretty well. People also went all in on decorations this year. The biggest display was a house with a 15-foot giant skeleton plus a horse and rider skeleton plus some more. It was pretty intense and also gone by 1pm today.

Back