BigRedBee Battery Charger Mod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
Hello all, I received a Big Red Bee transmitter package for Christmas and had a question about the modification needed for the battery charger. My charger came with two alligator clips attached to a small 2 pin connector that will plug into the side of the charger. After opening up the charger and using my ohm meter I found that the place where they want the two wires soldered is the same potential as the 2 pin connector. Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the clips and attach the wires to the supplied 3 pin connector?

Dan

normal_IMG_3296.JPG

normal_IMG_3297.JPG

Hello all, I received a Big Red Bee transmitter package for Christmas and had a question about the modification needed for the battery charger. My charger came with two alligator clips attached to a small 2 pin connector that will plug into the side of the charger. After opening up the charger and using my ohm meter I found that the place where they want the two wires soldered is the same potential as the 2 pin connector. Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the clips and attach the wires to the supplied 3 pin connector?

Lots of ways to skin that particular cat.

In my case, I cut the clips off then soldered them onto a small board. I then attached both a 3-pin and a 4-pin header to the board, and ran jumpers from the wires to each.

Why?

Because my BPS and my BeeLine use different connectors, I believe due to when I got them -- I think Greg has since standardized on the 3 pin.

-Kevin

After talking to Greg and the guys who make / distribute the charger using the two pin connector is just fine.

Dan

The only reason I cracked open the case is to permanently attach the wires -- I have a problem losing little things like that. But, you're absolutely correct, you can just cut off the alligator clips, and solder on the battery connector.

I've had a hard time keeping that alligator clip assembly connected via the two pin connector on the charger. It seems to fall out way too easily.

I've ended up using two jumper wires with alligator clips on each end and connecting the charger ends directly to the two metal prongs that stick out the back of the charger. Much more reliable.

On the other hand, I like the idea of getting a header that will plug directly into the LiPoly battery connector. Does anyone (Greg?) have a part number for the appropriate header? I always get a little dizzy trying to find those things in the DigiKey catalog.

Jim

Digikey Part # A19470-ND.

I've recently started including one with every charger.

Jim, I'll drop one in the mail to you.

-- Greg

Back