Best way to secure a Nose Cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeguy41

Reaction score
What is the best way to secure a nose cone on a Loc Hyperloc-300?
The molded loop seems weak and I don't feel that I trust it.
I am using Kevlar cord and not the supplied elastic.
Rocket will be flown as engine deployment for my level 1 and then as duel deployment for my level 2 and all other flights.
How has it been done before and what has worked well for you?
If you have pictures please post.
Also do I need a vent hole in the upper section of body tube between the e-bay and nose cone?

I would drill a couple small holes in the base of the nose cone, near opposite edges, then thread a Kevlar, Tubular Nylon, parachute cord, etc. through and form a loop. You could also just thread the end of the shock cord through and tie it off.

I've built the HyperLOC 300 for DD. I secured the avbay to the CB with 2 plastic rivets. And if you are going to certify L1 and L2 with this kit, I would secure the NC with 3 #2-56 sheer pins. They will secure the NC for the L1 flight and you'll
be able the blow the NC off for DD, with out the need to do any future modification on the NC. Good luck on your certification flights...

I've built the HyperLOC 300 for DD. I secured the avbay to the CB with 2 plastic rivets. And if you are going to certify L1 and L2 with this kit, I would secure the NC with 3 #2-56 sheer pins. They will secure the NC for the L1 flight and you'll
be able the blow the NC off for DD, with out the need to do any future modification on the NC. Good luck on your certification flights...

If you're going to fly it dual deploy, wouldn't you put the sheer pins through the body tube into the av-bay?

If you're going to fly it dual deploy, wouldn't you put the sheer pins through the body tube into the av-bay?

I thind he means securing the NC to the shock chord.

I would drill two holes through the bottom fo the NC, and loop the kevlar through them.

My major concern is that the thin plastic loop would not stand up to the force of the main chute opening up under a duel deployment situation.
I have made a loop in the Kevlar cord about 1 foot from the nose cone and tied the main into that, so that the force is on the cord connected to the av-bay. That leaves only the nose cone connected to the Kevlar past the chute and if the plastic loop breaks then I only loose the nose cone not the entire rocket. Will there be an issue with the nose cone getting tangled with the chute cords, my other concern. I will take the advice of drilling 2 holes in the base of the nose cone and looping the Kevlar cord through that way and then i won't loose the nose cone but I still have the potential issue of entangling the chute cords.

My major concern is that the thin plastic loop would not stand up to the force of the main chute opening up under a duel deployment situation.
I have made a loop in the Kevlar cord about 1 foot from the nose cone and tied the main into that, so that the force is on the cord connected to the av-bay. That leaves only the nose cone connected to the Kevlar past the chute and if the plastic loop breaks then I only loose the nose cone not the entire rocket. Will there be an issue with the nose cone getting tangled with the chute cords, my other concern. I will take the advice of drilling 2 holes in the base of the nose cone and looping the Kevlar cord through that way and then i won't loose the nose cone but I still have the potential issue of entangling the chute cords.

The plastic loop will not hold. Use a forged eye bolt through the bottom (cut hole in shoulder to add nut, or drill holes and run the cord through them in a loop.

I had several separations due to trusting the plastic loop with TN or Kevlar - in all size nose cones. These loops worked with the elastic.

Thanks, Kevin.
That was my fear.
I think I like the eye bolt option.
Just like qquake2k, I would rather built a tank with a bit more weight.

Eyeguy 41,

Another issue I had with the HyperLOC 300 build was the shock cord attachment to the lower BT, Estes style. I too discarded the elastic shock cord for a kevlar MM attachment. I used the Public Missiles method of epoxying a 5 ft length of shock cord to the inner tube as an anchor. Then attached my 15' nylon shock cord to the end of the kevlar. I agree with Kevin attaching an eye bolt to the NC will give you a stronger connecting point when you DD.

On my Hyperloc 300, I cut off the bottom of the nose cone and epoxied a bulkhead with an eyebolt into the nose cone at the top of the shoulder. Also gave me a bit more room for recovery gear.

The plastic loop will not hold. Use a forged eye bolt through the bottom (cut hole in shoulder to add nut, or drill holes and run the cord through them in a loop.

I had several separations due to trusting the plastic loop with TN or Kevlar - in all size nose cones. These loops worked with the elastic.

I would just use the two holes in the base and tie the loop to it. IMO, adding an eye bolt is just unnecessary weight. BTW, the only time I've ever had the plastic loops break was once when the ejection charge was too large (another disadvantage of "blow it out or blow it up"), and once when I used a quick link instead of tying the cord directly to the loop.

I would just use the two holes in the base and tie the loop to it. IMO, adding an eye bolt is just unnecessary weight. BTW, the only time I've ever had the plastic loops break was once when the ejection charge was too large (another disadvantage of "blow it out or blow it up"), and once when I used a quick link instead of tying the cord directly to the loop.

I should have had only one, but I made the mistake of continuing to trust them. I did use quick links though. I did with the elastic too.

Another option is to tie some knots in the shock cord or tie it around a bolt and insert into the nosecone to the tip, then use A/B foam to fill it. I've had the molded loops break, or the shock cord cut from rough edges on the plastic when looping it through, or bulkheads letting go from the plastic. This generally has occured on rockets with noseweight added though.

What is the best way to secure a nose cone on a Loc Hyperloc-300?
The molded loop seems weak and I don't feel that I trust it.
I am using Kevlar cord and not the supplied elastic.
Rocket will be flown as engine deployment for my level 1 and then as duel deployment for my level 2 and all other flights.
How has it been done before and what has worked well for you?
If you have pictures please post.
Also do I need a vent hole in the upper section of body tube between the e-bay and nose cone?

Thanks for all the advice.
I went with an eye bolt in the center hole and a bolt.
I will also be tying a loop into the Kevlar cord about 1 foot from the nose cone and attaching the chute on a swivel and quick link there.
You all have added to my personal knowledge base and I appreciate it.

This is an old thread, but I'm attaching my nosecone so its removable, is it advised to use 2 small sheet metal screws to do so 180 degrees apart? So I can remove it. Ive read some do it and others don't, is it frowned upon?

Last edited:
That is what I do on my 4" Patriot. There is about a 10 inch payload section that is attached to the shock cord. The nose cone goes in the top of the payload and held in with two round head sheet metal screws. I bring an electric screwdriver along so its quick and easy to take the nose cone off and put an altimeter in there.

The only time using screws with rounded heads like that would be frowned upon would be if you are trying to get every inch of altitude out of the rocket. But then again, if you can set it up to use flat head screws, that would be better. Fewer snide comments from some of the other rocketeers, if that bothers you.

Back