Best method for filling in spirals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudmanc5

Reaction score
What do you guys do to fill in the lines on the air frame? Also stupid question can I wet sand?

There are a few good fillers...

You could use Elmers fill n' finish and mix the appropriate amount off water into some of it to make it softer.

or

Superfil, its a lot like the Elmers stuff but its a little better in my oppinion.

If you use these, you don't have to wet sand it, just use fine sand paper.

These days I just fill spirals with primer thanks to Micromeister, works like a charm. It also fills grain on balsa or ply parts all at the same time.

Wet sanding is OK on cardboard tubes ?

read chicagonative's post-he's dead on, although you don't have to have Elmers "Fill 'N Finish"- their normal indoor/outdoor filler will also work....

You can wetsand cardboard tubes, as long as you don't let water come into contact with the cardboard... That is, you can wetsand primer coats off, or in between color coats but don't take off the glassine coating (clear to opaque covering on the outside of all cardboard tubes) when sanding (wet or dry) because then the evil fuzzies come out...

DON'T try to wetsand the wood filler off though- it's waterbased and wetsanding can result in major problems...

Wood filler(Elmer's Fill n Finish) works just fine. Like TRN said, the regular Elmer's filler will work too. Thin with water to a pancake batter consistency. Brush on, and into the spiral grooves. Sand smooth with 320 or 400 grit.

Several coats of grey primer will work too, but seems like way more sanding involved, and messier IMO. One coat filler and one coat primer is generally all I need before applying a top coat.

Back