Best LPR engine source on Amazon.com?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Exactly two hours after placing an order on Amazon.com for a new camera, setting me back a pretty penny, I unexpectedly received a nice Amazon.com gift card. It's too late to apply it to the camera, so I figured I would stock up on some engines. Motors (LPR) are the only rocketry related thing I need right now, as I've used up most of my routine stock of common motors like B6-4, C11-3, and the like. I'm really talking just Estes black powder stuff.

So, I went to Amazon and looked around a bit... but it seems like most places apply charges for shipping PER ITEM so if I order a pack of B6-4 and a pack of C6-5, the shipping in total would be about as much as the engines themselves. What a ripoff.

Are there any vendors with good motor selection there that will combine shipping on multiple items ordered in the same session? I found "ehobbies" but they make a big statement that multiple "media" items get charged shipping per item. Not sure what they mean by "media."

Thoughts?

Marc

Media rates are for books, DVDs, that kind of thing.

It seems eHobbies has a pretty fair shipping charge through amazon:

Continental US Street · Standard · (3 - 5 business days)
Per Shipment Bands Shipment Rate
$0.00 to $4.99 $3.49
$5.00 to $99.99 $6.99
$100.00 to Up $0.00

I ordered something from them way back in 2000 or so. They were good then. No idea about now. However, those are the best shipping charges I see on amazon for this stuff. A bummer they don't have prime - that really spoils you!

Good luck with the motors and the camera.

Thanks Jason, I must have misunderstood their policy.

True, Prime can spoil you. I am in a trial of Prime for a month. Not sure if it will be worth it to me continue, but I'm making good use of it now.

I'll load up on eHobbies stuff to get gest value. It's a shame there's not more Fliskits stuff on Amazon, too. Just one or two products is all I found there.

There's no way to convert Amazon gift card $ into Paypal $ is there?

Marc

PS: Those following my "build the one you're with" thread: I actually am almost out of a bunch of engines, and am starting to whittle down my other types of engines, so resupplying them is within my plan! Kits and body tubes/NCs- not so much. I've still got too much of those...

AC Supply seems to be the better than anywhere on Amazon.

For example, the best Estes Blast Pack price on Amazon seems to be $48.99 + $6.99 shipping.

AC is at $41.99 + $11.99 shipping. So it's about $1.20 cheaper to go with AC right there, and that's flat price shippping if you buy more stuff. Then they offer free shipping on $100+.

For standard 3- and 4- packs of engines, AC is $3-$4 cheaper than any Amazon dealers, not including shipping. But you only have to buy a couple packs to make up that difference.

So, I went to Amazon and looked around a bit... but it seems like most places apply charges for shipping PER ITEM so if I order a pack of B6-4 and a pack of C6-5, the shipping in total would be about as much as the engines themselves. What a ripoff.

Marc

When I order stuff from Amazon, I make it a point to buy at least $25 worth of eligible Free Super Saver Shipping items so I don't have to pay for shipping. Might be a good idea to look for this on whatever you buy from them.

When I order stuff from Amazon, I make it a point to buy at least $25 worth of eligible Free Super Saver Shipping items so I don't have to pay for shipping. Might be a good idea to look for this on whatever you buy from them.

I did this, and I found myself ordering things that I didn't really need to get just over the $25. I also found myself waiting to buy things until I had a 'critical mass' to get free or more efficient shipping (lots of things don't count toward the free shipping tally)

A few years ago we started Prime, and it's been great. The savings in shipping pays for the fee several times over, but more importantly, to me, I can make small purchases when I need them without feeling guilty about overspending on shipping. I prefer to feel guilty about overspending on the purchases themselves!

We have ordered the blast pack from Amazon several times. It's probably available elsewhere at times for a few $$ less, but it's the best way I've found to buy LPR motors, unless you have very specific motor needs that fall outside the types included in the Estes pack.

The reason shipping charges are calculated that way is because it is Amazon's policy. Small seller accounts are forced into that model; they have no choice. I think if a seller is willing to pay for a Pro Merchant account they can get around that policy, but I am not entirely sure if that is true.

- Rich

Here is a option. You can order some stuff thru Amazon.com from Apogee. Then Apogee is willing to change your order to want ever you want. I have done this a couple of times with them without issue. Just give them a heads up first. It a good way to get rid of Amazon credit for rocket stuff.

Back