Best Level 3 Recovery Method

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What is your best method of Level 3 recovery? At Maryland' Higgs Farm usually has soft grounds, lots of cord length for occasional tree retrieval. I always configure the drogue in the booster section and main in a good-sized length of payload bay.
1) Do you prefer d-bag and separate recovery of the nose?
2) My last issue was my 6" IRIS has such large fin area, it tends float up towards the drogue and gets tangled in the cord just before main deployment. Should I use a larger drogue to keep it down below?

Let me know your best recovery configuration of chutes and cords for larger rockets.

My Proteus flutters and spins really badly. 63# rocket loaded with a 98/10,000 motor, SkyAngle Cert 3 drogue, Cert 3 XXL Main. 40' of 5/8" Tubular Kevlar for the drogue cord, 30' of the same for the main. XXL deployment bag on the main with a 60" military surplus chute on the bag and cone, free-bag method. As you can see, the cord gets really spun up but didn't affect the deployment of the main.

You'll get to see this recovery system up close and personal at Red Glare on Saturday, weather permitting!

[YOUTUBE]R2NEIZ5uR5w[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
No d-bags or separate nose cone for me. A bigger drogue may just allow more time for your booster to do strange things IMHO

see you next week!

I used a 24" by 24' streamer at apogee, 48" pilot to recover nose and an 96" main at 800'. Main/nose descended about the same rate, and recovered within 100' of each other or so.

Later!

--Coop

I'm going with 30' of harness on the booster with swivel, and either a Medium Spherechutes drogue or Cert3 Drogue (depending on winds) at apogee, another 30' for Cert3XL main in d-bag, with 54" for the NC recovering separately on Saturday (again, weather permitting)

This is what it looks like when the bag method works perfectly:

j7MXUOkl.jpg

(Photo Credit to ROCKETS Magazine)

What is your best method of Level 3 recovery? At Maryland' Higgs Farm usually has soft grounds, lots of cord length for occasional tree retrieval. I always configure the drogue in the booster section and main in a good-sized length of payload bay.
1) Do you prefer d-bag and separate recovery of the nose?
2) My last issue was my 6" IRIS has such large fin area, it tends float up towards the drogue and gets tangled in the cord just before main deployment. Should I use a larger drogue to keep it down below?

Let me know your best recovery configuration of chutes and cords for larger rockets.

I had the same problem you are describing when I was testing my stabilization system. The problem was that with the stabilization section weight, the upper airframe was heavier than normal. So, with a smaller drogue, the fin can would fly high and with a larger drogue, both sections would hang down. In either case, the main tended to get tangled trying to get past the various air frame sections. After some thought, research and experimentation, I came up with a way to manage this problem as best as possible. My last three L3 certifications have used the method with success.

What I think I learned is that the most reliable way to deploy a typical L3 rocket is to recover the cone on its own chute. The remainder of the recovery system, in order, is a harness, the main chute, the d-bag and the d-bag pilot. The idea is for the d-bag/pilot to rise up above the remaining parts and then deploy once the harness become tout. The smaller d-bag/pilot can get past the other equipment more easily compared to a large main chute.

I prefer to keep the cone with the remainder of the rocket rather than recover it separate (all my tracking equipment is typically in the cone). Since the cone is another common source of fouling, I put the cone on its own long harness. So, starting from the air frame, there is one long harness for the cone and a separate harness to the main, d-bag, pilot as above. When the main section deploys, the cone gets out of the way quickly.

A disadvantage of the above approach is that the weight of the cone is no longer available to help pull out the main. For larger rockets, it is often the cone pulling out the main rather than the charge pushing it out. Therefore, it is my opinion that the method is best applied with a piston. The piston pushes everything out and the two harnesses are attached to the piston. However, two of my L3's were confident that the charge would get the main out, so they used the method without the piston.

I posted two sets of pictures in this thread (Posts 6 and 7) that show a nose cone view of how the method works. Wizard's post (Post 43) showed how the method worked in his L3 flight.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?126952-deployment-Bag-Help

Jim

Shesh, I'm glad the way I'm feeling reflects what you folks are saying. I had a chute hang in a dbag attached to the main harness of a DD rocket. I didn't have it attached to the nosecone like is recommended here and by Sky Angle.
I'm sticking with a blanket for now and if I go back to using a dbag, I'm going to use the the separate chute method. Blow at 800 with a Main and the NC come down on its own chute with the bag.
I got a half dozen dbags lying around. Kurt

Okay, for my L3, I used a 48" chute for the drouge, a military surplus chute for the nose, and a TAC9B for the main, with no bag. The trick here was that I loaded the nose chute below the main, so the nose weight could still pull out the main if need be. I also used larger charges than some would consider necessary, and redundant charges, not just 2 e-matches. My altimeters were different types, so I wasn't worried about over-pressuring, and I believe they were set to slightly different altitudes as well.

Not saying this is necessarily the "best," but it is simple and reliable...

Last edited:
Let me know if you want to sell any of those :)

Some of them are the long K & S rocketry bags me suspects are not ideal for tight packing. I'm 50:50 one success one failure. The success was with a drogue less standard DD rocket and I believe I had a "holee" 48" Spherachute on the bag and
the nosecone stayed attached to the harness. I believe the high rate of descent going drogue less with the 48" chute (holee meaning it had quite a few "burnholes" in it) allowed it to have sufficient drag to wrench the R9C out of the bag.

My failure was in a 4 inch cardboard LOC tubed rocket with an 18" drogue and intact 36" Spherachute on the K&S dbag. Video on the sustainer showed shots of the chute hung up in the bag. I believe the velocity didn't match the drag by the 36" chute
on deployment and it hung in the bag. Soft dirt saved the rocket to fly again with a blanket instead.

I have some larger rockets in the planning stage that I feel comfortable with using the bags and separate chutes on the nosecone. If really going high might need two trackers though.:tongue: Kurt

Last edited:
My L3 is Kenny Allen's Performer 150. It weighs about 48 lbs without motor. I use a 30" drogue attached close to the upper section. I have 30' of cord between the payload and fin can. I add a 30Kg ball bearing climbing swivel to the fin can since it twisted up the cord so bad on the last flight. I haven't flown it with the swivel yet but I expect it to work quite well.

The main chute is sized to drop the fin can and payload at 15 -17 ft/sec. There is a 60" pilot chute on the nose cone that is sized to drop that at 10 - 12 ft/sec. This makes sure the pilot has enough drag and pull to get the d-bag off the main even with the weight of the nose cone on it. The cord on the pilot chute attaches to the nose cone and d-bag. It pulls the d-bag out and up until the shock cord is tight, then the shroud lines pull off the d-bag before the bag comes off the main. There is about 150 ft of 150 lb Dacron line attached to the inside of the d-bag and the top of the main chute. This is long enough to allow the main to open before the Dacron is stretched out. It keeps the main and pilot with the nose cone together but the pilot well above the main.

I won't say this is the best method, but it works well for me.

Last edited:
Back