Best Fiberglass Roller for Airframe 'Glassing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to laminate the Easyglas sock on my Warlock. I've got squeegees, but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the fiberglass roller to use to give the best results?

I'm about to laminate the Easyglas sock on my Warlock. I've got squeegees, but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the fiberglass roller to use to give the best results?
Aircraft Spruce sells a roller just for laminating with fiberglass. It’s almost like short bristles so it doesn’t whip air into the epoxy. I bought one nearly 20 years ago but rolling a bristle brush side to side like Dave Triano’s videos showed worked so well I never used it. Don’t ask me if I still have the roller.

Aircraft Spruce sells a roller just for laminating with fiberglass. It’s almost like short bristles so it doesn’t whip air into the epoxy. I bought one nearly 20 years ago but rolling a bristle brush side to side like Dave Triano’s videos showed worked so well I never used it. Don’t ask me if I still have the roller.
Link to the Dave Triano videos?

Latex gloved hand with just a wee shot of denatured ethanol :)
Good thing I found a bunch of 99% IPA on Amazon at a good price. 😁

I'll try that, along with some squeegee work. I'm tinting the resin light blue (SWMBO's requested color) for this project. I'd like to be able to perform minimal sanding and hit it with some Createx UVLS Clear Gloss after it's done.

Some of the available denaturing agents are toxic. Stick with the ones that are just bitter. Or make it a wee shot of Malort.
First, I don't plan on ingesting any of it.

Second, I don't plan on letting any of it get on my skin.

Third, I usually use a VOC air filter mask when applying large quantities of epoxy, anyway.

Some of the available denaturing agents are toxic. Stick with the ones that are just bitter. Or make it a wee shot of Malort.

First, I don't plan on ingesting any of it.

Second, I don't plan on letting any of it get on my skin.

Third, I usually use a VOC air filter mask when applying large quantities of epoxy, anyway.

@John Kemker --

I wonder if @Charles_McG, the ciderwright, was teasing ? :)

According to some, while it may -or-may-not be more toxic, Denatured Ethanol might taste better than Malort :) :)

-- kjh

@John Kemker --

I wonder if @Charles_McG, the ciderwright, was teasing ? :)

According to some, while it may -or-may-not be more toxic, Denatured Ethanol might taste better than Malort :) :)

-- kjh

Denatonium benzoate is the suggested denaturant - and is a modified lidocaine. Denaturing with gasoline is still legal, though.

Certain herb essential oils can be used, too.

Denatonium benzoate is the suggested denaturant - and is a modified lidocaine. Denaturing with gasoline is still legal, though.

Certain herb essential oils can be used, too.
I had to look up denatonium benzoate -- like Malort, it won't kill you but it doesn't taste so good either.

Then I got curious and found this link: Science Direct: Denatured Alcohol

'Certain herb essential oils' sounds like a euphemism for something I might-or-might-not have partaken of way back in my college days at Berkeley :)

Thanks Charles !

-- kjh

Back