Battle of the Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Federation Of Galaxy Explorers (FOGE) has set up a new registration page for teams that what to join the Battle!

Battle of the Rockets Registration

FOGE also has a Facebook Page with more info.

Due to budget cuts, NASA may not be continuing the Student Launch Initiative in 2014. As the NASA SLI site state "At this time, NASA's education leadership cannot guarantee that a specific event or challenge, organized by NASA, will continue in fiscal year 2014."

In order to provide a more advanced USLI level competition, FOGE is adding PDR and CDR requirements to the Mars Rover competitions this year.

See ya all at the Battle this spring!

Wow!
Egg Saucer Event.
How cool is that.

Count me in.

I've been getting more and more disillusioned with TARC.
I don't like the fact that middle schools compete with high schools.

I think the challenges are too restrictive.
Having both a height and and a descent window hinders the creative process.
Spec'ing a parachute of a single size further restricts novel problem solving approaches.

(added in edit: Also why the heck to do they set goals that require the use of expensive mid power motors?
Competing in TARC is not an inexpensive proposition. Even keeping the height and duration requirements, the contest should be designed to use cheap, readily available BP motors. After all, it seems that most teams seem to be building and flying rockets for the first time. Coupled with the fact that adult input in the design and build process is supposed to be limited to minimal guidance and the fact that these kids are young, low power seems to be the way to go. But, I rant......)

I would like to see a challenge with the goal to get the payload as high as possible and return it to Earth as quickly as possible - safely - without breaking the egg.

So, two big thumbs up for saucer egg lofting!

Bones

Last edited:
It seems the satellite taking the pictures used by Google maps was watching the Battle of the Rockets last April.

Click here and zoom in, see if you recognize anyone!

Only way that could be cooler is if the satellite had managed to capture images while there were rockets in flight. :D

The Battle is over! A great time was had by all. 10 Universities and 6 High Schools brought 24 teams out. Between the teams, local spectators, and vendors, we had about 400 people on site. Lots of great flights. The AIAA teams minimum diameter L motor was the high flier at just over 11,000 ft. The rest of the contest flights pretty much stayed under 2000 ft.

The 6th annual Battle of the Rockets was a huge success. University of Texas - Arlington gets the prize for the longest trip again. There is a school in Egypt that sends a CanSat team each year that expressed interest and may show up next year.

Back