Basic Curve Creation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, new to this -- and I have searched -- but I suspect there is a detailed post in the forum here somewhere on this topic. I am wanting to build a rocket from scratch, but it seems like I will need to create a main body that has various diameter along the length of the rocket. So, not just a single transition from one BT size to another BT size with the nose cone completing the transition. How -- basically -- might you tackle the construction of the attached? And I have to say, I could do this with 3D printing, but I would prefer to have to construct the parts and pieces myself from available materials.

Concorde SST Future Prototype.jpg

look at how model airplanes are built. heck, even the old 'stick & tissue' planes that were frames covered in cloth!

ribs, stringers, and a skin. you can make some pretty funky shapes..

And whittle. Start with a glued up collection of blocks (almost like a pixelated image of what you’re trying to fashion) and then cut away everything that doesn’t look like it.

That reminds me: a long time ago in a thread far away, @Mugs914 offered to do a short tutorial on bending sheet balsa with ammonia, that black magic art practiced by C/L stunt flyers with very impressive results. I'd love to see their tricks.

That reminds me: a long time ago in a thread far away, @Mugs914 offered to do a short tutorial on bending sheet balsa with ammonia, that black magic art practiced by C/L stunt flyers with very impressive results. I'd love to see their tricks.
Not to steal Mike's thunder but there is a site/forum called "Stunthanger" that is the 'hangout' for much of the C/L stunt community. The admin/owner goes by the handle "Sparky", and is an accomplished builder of models that have scored high in appearance points at the AMA Nats.

He not only documents his builds on the forum, but produces 'how to' videos detailing aspects of his construction techniques for others to view.

Among those videos is one on molding balsa, which can be viewed at:

(video is in excess of an hour long, starting with preparing the buck over which the sheeting is molded, through the finished 'shell').

Last edited:
He not only documents his builds on the forum, but produces 'how to' videos detailing aspects of his construction techniques for others to view.

Among those videos is one on molding balsa, which can be viewed at:

Thanks for that, seems like a real art form. I like that.

seems like a real art form
Apologize in advance for the thread-drift.

At the AMA Nats in C/L Stunt, the "Open" class is for the top competitors. Placing in Open is determined not only by flight scores, but there are also Appearance Points that can be amassed (maximum of 20 points). To earn appearance points the model must have been constructed by the pilot, no molded ARF planes permitted. As a result, a significant amount of effort is put into building a model that not only flies the stunt pattern well, but looks good doing so. Appea

Here are some of the models at appearance judging from the 2020 Nats (appearance judging occurs before the first round of flights begin): https://nats.modelaircraft.org/nats-news/july-14-2020-cl-precision-aerobatics-stunt

Not sure why the images don't render until you actually click on the icon, sorry.

Remember that these are still largely constructed of balsa, wings are either built up or foam core, covered in silkspan and finished with dope or similar...

Apologize in advance for the thread-drift.

I think, considering the original question, it is quite relevant.

Here are some of the models at appearance judging from the 2020 Nats (appearance judging occurs before the first round of flights begin): https://nats.modelaircraft.org/nats-news/july-14-2020-cl-precision-aerobatics-stunt

Gorgeous, thanks for the link. It's truly impressive, those C/L stunt folks are a notch above the rest. I've seen some in real life, and photos don't quite do them justice. Several years ago I went to NATS in Muncie, IN, but now that starts to become a real thread-drift.

Latest posts

Back