BALLS 2011 BLACK ROCK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM ROCKETRY

Reaction score
I'm a born again rocketman. Launched my firsr one in 1981 and my second a few months ago. I'm new!!!

What can you tell me about "BALLS"?

Is this all research stuff? I heard you can build your own motors and fly them at Black Rock. I heard some rockets are made from aluminum. What is the truth?

Is it really as hard as I have read to get there? Do any of you have "caravans" going to BALLS this year. Can I makwe contact with some rocketeers who are building a large project?

Any info helps...

Last edited:
Check out the Balls website and you should find out some of your answers.

There are some restrictions to attending and participating in launches covered under Tripoli's Research Rules.

BALLS is done under the TRA research rule so now both commercial and research motors may be launched. However the rules for the launch put a restriction for commercial motors to be a K motor or larger without approval of the launch director, research motors may be any size. All who attend regardless of age or if they are launching must register and pay the range fee

There are metal rockets, TRA rules do not prohibit it.

For the insurance you must be a TRA member, NAR does not do research so if a person is just NAR they can not launch or go past the safety line.
It is not difficult to get there, there is a paved road to within 10 miles, the decision to go is the issue. .

Just go.

Mark

BALLS is done under the TRA research rule so now both commercial and research motors may be launched. However the rules for the launch put a restriction for commercial motors to be a K motor or larger without approval of the launch director, research motors may be any size. All who attend regardless of age or if they are launching must register and pay the range fee

There are metal rockets, TRA rules do not prohibit it.

For the insurance you must be a TRA member, NAR does not do research so if a person is just NAR they can not launch or go past the safety line.
It is not difficult to get there, there is a paved road to within 10 miles, the decision to go is the issue. .

Just go.

Mark
As he who knows BALLS has said, "Just go." You won't regret it.

A few of us from Kansas made our first BALLS trip last year and we already have everything set-up for a return trip to #20.

The web-site referenced above is a good source of info. Prepare yourself properly for the varying weather possibilities and be prepared to be immersed in rocketry for 3 days.

--Lance.

Back 20 years ago when BALLS started there was more mystery to it. There was no internet to see pictures and discuss what had or was going to happen, only second or third hand stories about it. The location was a bit vague at first and we had to use real paper maps and a few notes from a phone call to find our way. No GPS then.

The first time I went there I was amazed by place, I like getting new people there and listen to what they say, it renews my enthusiasm.

Mark

Back