Av bay for beginners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL303

Reaction score
I am planning my first dual deploy build. It will be the K&S Flash. I've searched but have not found an "intro to av bay" type build,tutorial. Does one exist?

Specifically, I am interested in the wiring to the charges. I noticed a lot of builds use some sort of white plastic terminal on the outside of their bulkheads for, I'm assuming, hooking up the e-matches. I am interested in learning about what these are and how they work for my build. Any other wiring tips are welcome. I will be using the Perfectflight Strattologger.

I have extensive experience with motor deployment on up to HP flights but now would like to venture into DD.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Jim

I'm assuming the av bay is the one Scott of K&S Rockets includes in his kit.

You might want to drop him a PM or email and ask him for guidance in setting up your av bay. He may have a tutorial already set up.

The K&S Flash is a small rocket. You will have limited space inside that 1.6" airframe. I would (and do) use centrifuge tubes (I make my own, but you can get pre-made tubes here) for deployment in smaller airframes such as that (e.g., I have a K&S 1.6" Bluebird Zero). Simply place a small hole in the aft/fore av-bay bulkheads for the apogee and main charges respectively, then route the leads from your centrifuge tube into the av-bay and hook up to your Stratalogger.

I am planning my first dual deploy build. It will be the K&S Flash. I've searched but have not found an "intro to av bay" type build,tutorial. Does one exist?

Specifically, I am interested in the wiring to the charges. I noticed a lot of builds use some sort of white plastic terminal on the outside of their bulkheads for, I'm assuming, hooking up the e-matches. I am interested in learning about what these are and how they work for my build. Any other wiring tips are welcome. I will be using the Perfectflight Strattologger.

I have extensive experience with motor deployment on up to HP flights but now would like to venture into DD.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Jim

Thanks for the information, dixontj. Do you do anything to seal the hole in the bulkheads? Also, do you just place the charge in the body tube hanging freely?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, dixontj. Do you do anything to seal the hole in the bulkheads? Also, do you just place the charge in the body tube hanging freely?

Yes, sorry. I use hot glue from a glue gun like this. It is quick to apply and easy to remove after a flight. When I put a dollop of glue to cover the hole, I pull the centrifuge tube bottom right into the glue. This helps secure the tube to the bay bulkhead during the flight so it doesn't flop around.

Last edited:

I use a screw and large diameter washer to cover the wires running through the bulkheads. It is best to put the charge in some sort of holder. That way you can tape it in so it doesnt rattle around or become undone from the terminal blocks in flight. A PVC pipe cap or similar would work. I think some people use copper. A thin wall tube might be good if its only a 1.6" airframe. I attached a photo of how I did it. Obviously a larger rocket, but it gets the idea across. If you check out some build threads, there are a lot of good ideas to choose from.
DSC_0268.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of good information here. Thanks, all!
COrocket, are those white wire connectors "Euro plugs"? I see you listed Aspen. I'm in Denver. Do you fly down on the front range? Nice clean look to that bulkhead.

Lots of good information here. Thanks, all!
COrocket, are those white wire connectors "Euro plugs"? I see you listed Aspen. I'm in Denver. Do you fly down on the front range? Nice clean look to that bulkhead.

Yeah, they are European style terminal blocks https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103986 I just buy a long one and cut them in pairs.
I do fly on the front range. Unfortunately there isn't a club in the western part of the state. I'm a member of Northern Colorado Rocketry, but I attend the SCORE launches in Pueblo occasionally.

Latest posts

Back