Are clustered fin cans a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeva

Jackal Rockets, programmer and engineer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find anything. It sounds like it would be difficult unless you did plugged motors with electronic recovery or made a really weird nosecone adapter.... but I can't help wanting to make a fin can rocket with 6 joined cans so I can call it "The six pack" lol.

NO i do not mean the fully assembled cluster rockets in HPR. I know those are a thing, have been kitted, etc. I mean something like:
View attachment IMG_8332.JPG

Last edited:
What does "clustered fin can" mean to you? I'm unclear how that's different from something like a LOC Ultimate or Viper. Lots of people have clustered high power motors (not me, yet), generally using electronic recovery actuation. Seven is easy - six tubes around a central, all the same size. Look up the LOC Ultimate.

That's a full body rocket. I was thinking more like those minimal assemblies with just a nosecone, short BT and fins on a casing. But instead of just one BT, make it six. To crudely illustrate it:IMG_8331.JPG

Last edited:
It seems more like you're considering multiple body tubes in a cluster, with all of them connected in a single nose cone.

There *are* models out there that do things similar to what you want, but nothing that does *exactly* what you're asking, as far as I know.

Two that are off the top of my head:

https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/products/nike-hercules-rocket-builders-kit
Not *exactly* what you are asking, but it does have a booster with 4 body tubes, and each tube supports a fin (more or less).

Estes and Apogee both make a Saturn 1b scale model that has multiple body tubes and fins. You *might* be able to cluster it, but I'd imagine you'd have to pay close attention to the total weight, thrust, and CG when adding that many motors.

Something like a Mach1 or Rocketarium Trident could be easily modified to do what you want, I would think.

I can easily design something to print and assemble. I was more just asking broadly "has it been done"? because afaict, it has not. Yeah I've seen fully assembled rockets have several tubes for each motor, but again, those are models with full body tubes and what not. I'm realizing part of the problem is the term "fin can" seems to be loosely defined.

I am NOT talking about full assemblies. IE not Saturn 1b, not Nike Herucles, not LOC Ultimate, not LOC Viper, etc.

View attachment IMG_8332.JPG

Last edited:
Back