Aqua resin ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Any of ya'll use this stuff. It's a water based resin for use with fiberglass. Everything I've read about it is good and Grainger carries it---I'm curious about the cure time? Thanks in advance---H

Sounds "fishy" :wink: to me but I'll see how things turn out. Looks like an interesting product.

Alex

Ok. I can't wait to see the results. I will wait for a link. That was all I could find. :pop:

That looks promising. I like the idea of reducing oil usage.

So Part A is a liquid, and B is a powder?:surprised: This looks like it's more suited to casting and mold making then laminating. :2:

Last edited:
So Part A is a liquid, and B is a powder?:surprised: This looks like it's more suited to casting and mold making then laminating. :2:

Ya know, I thought the same thing at first! After searching around I found more info on it--seems they compare the strength to regular resins after cured. I'm gonna give it the benifit of the doubt and try it--if it goes bad then we'll all learn something---if it goes good --we all have a new tool!---ya know I need to contact an old bud of mine who's in the movie biz--he might shed some light --later--H

Ya know, I thought the same thing at first! After searching around I found more info on it--seems they compare the strength to regular resins after cured. I'm gonna give it the benifit of the doubt and try it--if it goes bad then we'll all learn something---if it goes good --we all have a new tool!---ya know I need to contact an old bud of mine who's in the movie biz--he might shed some light --later--H

Guessing the question is more about how well it will wet out the glass.

Well according to their PDF, specifies it is not structural, nor can it be used with fiberglass cloth.
Kinda leaves rockets out for the most part.

Picture 3.png

Thanks Jim. That document was blocked on my government computer. I had hoped for a Green Epoxy. Too Bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It mentioned foam coating and the use of Aqua Veil ,and does say fiberglass can be used for "special" operations ,so perhaps it may be used ?

Can you contact the manufac. ?

Paul T

Once I mixed Titebond (original) with chopped glass. Some of the hardest strongest stuff I've ever seen resulted. My only concern is that Titebond expands, so is the result a pre-stressed material that could sort of explode? ... While I don't know if you can wet out cloth with it, clearly there are more materials that can work structurally with reinforcing fiber than the usual.

I taught at an engineering summer camp two summers ago, and they had about 30 pounds of hot glue so I taught a lesson on composites using hot glue and twine to build cantilevers. It works. And it used about a tenth of the stock.

Looked at the company website. Sounds like it would be good nose cone molding/making material.

Maybe Layne at Pemtech can actually cast a true squid nosecone from this..

Looked at the company website. Sounds like it would be good nose cone molding/making material.

The way I read the site, it would be a good material to use in a mold, not something you could make the mold out of. A mold needs to have a strong stucture. This stuff isn't structural. This seems to be a more durable version of plaster of paris.

The way I read the site, it would be a good material to use in a mold, not something you could make the mold out of. A mold needs to have a strong stucture. This stuff isn't structural. This seems to be a more durable version of plaster of paris.

I didn't make that too clear. I meant to make nose cones and now that I think about it, possibly other scale or trim type parts for the rockets.
It sounds a lot like some of the material we get at work that comes in pre-made blocks and we machine into prototype parts.

A mold can be as heavy as you need it though. Question is if the stuff is hard surfaced.

Back