Anyone here know these "trail cams"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda wanna get one just to play with. I assume they all do night-vision and auto-record?

There's waaay too many to pick thru, are there known decent brands here, like the GoPro or Mobius of this camera world?

Thanks!

These days they're all pretty good. Yes, night vision and auto record, with user settable triggers and recording are standard features.The ones I have and use span about the last 15 years and 4 or 5 gens of technology. They all work. Basically they're getting smaller and clearer while using less power.

Even cheap ones today are light years better than top lines ones from 10 years ago.

My high end ones are basically cell phones. When they take video or pictures, I get a text and/or email instantly.

My brother is looking into something for farm security. One of his neighbors had their shop emptied of all the expensive tools. Plus the globes for farm tractor GPS are a hot commodity for crooks too nowadays. At $5000.00 plus, they’ve been known to disappear overnight. Bad people suck…

We use trail cams w/ night vision at our property to see coyotes because we need to get rid of them. They keep eating our chickens. We get a lot of deer though. We actually got a night vision pic of an owl swooping down to catch something- really cool! I'll try to find it...

Tactacam is the one we have.

Some pics from my grandpa's cam in montana- deer and elk

I__00279.jpeg
imagejpeg_1(2).jpg
imagejpeg_0(5) (1).jpgimagejpeg_0(4) (1).jpgimagejpeg_2(3).jpg
imagejpeg_0(5).jpg

And from our cam:
84480b97-b5e0-4eab-a5cc-76299e88d5ff.jpgaed7f707-b24e-45bc-b40d-07cb5aae0eb7.jpgspypoint_273977495470147.jpg

Couldn't find the pic with the owl swooping but I found one with an owl in it
d5820132-4da4-4114-947a-46849e127296.jpg

I don't know the brand, but our son-in-law has several. They can be set to take photographs or video. Last year a friend (former neighbor) was burgled so he borrowed our SIL's trail cams and put them up around his house until be felt comfortable that the thieves weren't coming back.

My brother is looking into something for farm security. One of his neighbors had their shop emptied of all the expensive tools. Plus the globes for farm tractor GPS are a hot commodity for crooks too nowadays. At $5000.00 plus, they’ve been known to disappear overnight. Bad people suck…
Yes they do.

Hi Carl,

I have several trap cams and even the cheaper ones for $50 take good night pics and let you set the number of camera shot burst and the seconds of the video per event.

My drone had a FLIR camera which took crazy night pics.

PIC_0024(1).JPG

Hi Carl,

I have several trap cams and even the cheaper ones for $50 take good night pics and let you set the number of camera shot burst and the seconds of the video per event.

My drone had a FLIR camera which took crazy night pics.

View attachment 610498

watch Bambi, we are near hunting season.

I had a pretty high end Bushnell model for several years. Then, it just died.

I recently bought a $60 Chinese thing on Amazon with lots of good reviews. It seems adequate for me. I just like to look at critters creeping around.

If you are just playing around and time is not critical, then get a model with an SD card and review the images at your leisure. If you want something for security with alerts, then you probably need to spring for the models that use a cellular plan.

I have 4 Moultrie Cellular Trailcams set up on a large private Campground used by various youth groups. Been using them forc years now to watch/inventory wildlife and provide security and oversight on property visits. We have about 350 acres about 2 hours from the twin cities where most members live.

The cameras have worked fairly well but initially were pretty dumb and rustling leaves triggered lots of photos as did sunrise and sunset for cameras that had south exposures.

We are also in a poor cellular region. So uploading data to the cloud was irregular and consumed a lot of battery.

Now for the good news. The recently introduced Moultrie Edge Pro cameras are game changers. Lots of on-board intelligence has eliminated most false triggers. Image quality is way up too as is the quality of the cell signal maintained. I intend to convert all of our cameras to the Edge Pro models and will save the cost of the cameras in battery savings. I think I can get a full year out of a set on Energizer lithium aa's with the small lead acid aux batteries we use.

I have 4 Moultrie Cellular Trailcams set up on a large private Campground used by various youth groups. Been using them forc years now to watch/inventory wildlife and provide security and oversight on property visits. We have about 350 acres about 2 hours from the twin cities where most members live.

The cameras have worked fairly well but initially were pretty dumb and rustling leaves triggered lots of photos as did sunrise and sunset for cameras that had south exposures.

We are also in a poor cellular region. So uploading data to the cloud was irregular and consumed a lot of battery.

Now for the good news. The recently introduced Moultrie Edge Pro cameras are game changers. Lots of on-board intelligence has eliminated most false triggers. Image quality is way up too as is the quality of the cell signal maintained. I intend to convert all of our cameras to the Edge Pro models and will save the cost of the cameras in battery savings. I think I can get a full year out of a set on Energizer lithium aa's with the small lead acid aux batteries we use.
snow rider 3d

Do you find it much more economical?

Do you find it much more economical?
Moultrie has a volume pricing for cloud access to your cameras cell connected data. I find this attractive. Their cloud business model is surely attractive for them and results in continuous improvement in cameras which I appreciate.

If you are cost sensitive and don't need close to real time access to your cameras photos, then a cellular serviced camera is probably overkill. In my case the property is a 400 mile round trip from my home, so it is a good & reasonable solution. It is $100 just in gas to drive to our property.

Astrobuf

Back