An Interesting Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoehahn

Reaction score
I was thinking about a very interesting drag race idea for small groups. Everyone buys a motor in the same casing size (or vendors provide one for a fee) for example Pro 38 3 grain, then everybody takes the markings off of the reload leaving only the delay time of the reload in question (or write it on the side) throw all of them into a bag so nobody knows which is which. Everybody picks one, then you set up your rockets (lets say same kits like a jr from wildman) and you hold a drag race. First off the pad, First down, highest, etc. I think it sounds like fun, does anyone else?

I was thinking about a very interesting drag race idea for small groups. Everyone buys a motor in the same casing size (or vendors provide one for a fee) for example Pro 38 3 grain, then everybody takes the markings off of the reload leaving only the delay time of the reload in question (or write it on the side) throw all of them into a bag so nobody knows which is which. Everybody picks one, then you set up your rockets (lets say same kits like a jr from wildman) and you hold a drag race. First off the pad, First down, highest, etc. I think it sounds like fun, does anyone else?

Would you use high powered engines? It does sound fun though.

You should require electronic ejection. That way people wouldn't get to peek inside and find out what motor it is, and account for differences in delay times required.

The RSO should know what the motors are so you don't burn an E-75 in a 15 pound rocket.

Well you can usually figure if something is safe by diameter and grains. planning on doing this with three wildman jr line kits and 3 Pro38 3G reloads.

Well you can usually figure if something is safe by diameter and grains.

which sets total impulse. the thrust would still make a difference... i.e. 5 x thrust to weight limit might be exceeded unintentionally. i.e. J270 vs K700 use the same case, but would have a completely different flight profile with a 20 pound rocket.

I like the idea. Selecting Pro38 2 grain would give you from H100 through H400 with Skids, Imax, Vmax, White Thunder, etc.. all represented.

2 grain would be enough - I fly mine on a EX H 2 grain that sims out to 100 - and I get between 997 and 1008 feet. Like the idea of electronic ejection - so you couldn't peek. Might even have a third party load all the motors to prevent any peaking!

Back