AltOS 1.4 released with TeleGPS support, better mapping and more TeleMega features

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithp

Reaction score
Bdale and I spent the day finishing up the AltOS 1.4 release. New stuff:

• TeleGPS support
  • Improved mapping
  • Configurable firing time for TeleMega extra pyro channels
  • TeleMega pyro voltage telemetry monitoring
There are a few bug fixes as well; the release notes linked above describe things in more detail.

(TeleGPS is a stand-alone tracking device. Using a u-Blox MAX 7 GPS chip, it provides both flight logging and telemetry tracking via our digital telemetry encoding, APRS and radio direction finding beacons.)

I'll have to grab this and try it out.

I was having trouble with 1.3.2 downloading files from my new EasyMini; something about the library paths not working right.

Which JVM do you recommend on Linux? Does it matter?

I'll have to grab this and try it out.

I was having trouble with 1.3.2 downloading files from my new EasyMini; something about the library paths not working right.

Which JVM do you recommend on Linux? Does it matter?

We test with both openjdk and sun's stuff, but we use openjdk when actually running stuff. AltOS 1.4 uses a new installer method for Linux; I don't know if that will help you, but it will probably change things...

Ubuntu wants me to run it as a superuser in order to access the altimeter...

It works if I manually run it from a terminal with sudo, but I can't figure out how to edit the .desktop file to run with gksu.

Last edited:
Ubuntu wants me to run it as a superuser in order to access the altimeter...

It works if I manually run it from a terminal with sudo, but I can't figure out how to edit the .desktop file to run with gksu.

You should just need to add your self to the dialout group, then logout and login again:

$ sudo adduser $USER dialout

I had a little trouble installing on my Win7 computer; the 64-bit Java integrated in the Altos installer failed. Went to java.com and manually installed the 64-bit version, then ran the Altos installer without problem. Seems to work OK. I assume there is no issue running the new UI without flashing my Telemetrum V2.

...Fred

I had a little trouble installing on my Win7 computer; the 64-bit Java integrated in the Altos installer failed. Went to java.com and manually installed the 64-bit version, then ran the Altos installer without problem. Seems to work OK. I assume there is no issue running the new UI without flashing my Telemetrum V2.

...Fred

Thanks for the info -- I tried our integrated java installer and it worked on the one machine I had to test on (also 64-bit Windows 7), but of course all Windows machines are different. There's no problem using the new UI without reflashing your TeleMetrum V2, but you might want to do that at some point to fix a few minor bugs.

Plan to flash the TM eventually. I will be flying it several times at URRF in a week and half. Don't want to risk bricking the TM this close to the launch.

Any way to get some command line options into the UI? Something like:

AltusMetrum -p filename

to plot saved .eeprom and .telem files.

This is just something that caters to way I organize and work with flight data.

...Fred

Plan to flash the TM eventually. I will be flying it several times at URRF in a week and half. Don't want to risk bricking the TM this close to the launch.
Completely understand that plan :)
Any way to get some command line options into the UI?
The code already does this, I just don't know how to get the file association stuff to work so that you can click on the .eeprom and .telem files and have AltosUI launch automatically.

The code already does this, I just don't know how to get the file association stuff to work so that you can click on the .eeprom and .telem files and have AltosUI launch automatically.

You mean in Windows?

It's a reghack, as documented here

Unfortunately it's one of those things they made more complicated in an attempt to make it more simple (e.g. you're able to change the associated program, but that's it).

You can either use third party programs or just edit the registry yourself (do not modify the registry unless you're really sure on what you're doing! Mistakes might break settings or even make your system unbootable!):

Right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and pick New, Key. Name it according to your desired file extension, e.g. .ext. If it exists already, you can skip this step.
Set the default value of the key you just created to some unique name that isn't used yet, e.g. MyFileType. Again, if it's set already, skip this step.
Create another new key using the same name you picked in the previous step. Skip this too, if the key exists already.
Set the default value of the new key to the name that should appear in Windows Explorer and other programs as the file type.
Right click the new key and create a subkey DefaultIcon.
Set the new key's default value to C:\Some\Path\To\Your\Icon\Ressource.ico,0 (the 0 is the index of the icon to be used; if there's only one icon in the ressource, it has to be 0).
Create another new key next to DefaultIcon and call it shell.
Now, for each verb/action you'd like to associate, create a new sub key with the desired name. Some verbs are preset and will automatically use localized names, e.g. open, edit or print.
For each verb create a sub key command and set its default value to the program to be run. Also make sure to include all parameters needed, adding quotes if there are spaces inside, e.g. "C:\My Path\My Program.exe" "%1". %1 will be replaced with the actual file name picked for this action.

All that said, if you want, I can create a .reg file which your installer can execute, and then it magically gets set during install time.

-Kevin

Thanks Keith. I started to play with this.

One would think that right clicking a .telem or .eeprom file and select "Open with" and selecting altosui-fat would do the trick. Sadly, it does not.

The above creates the follow registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\eeprom_auto_file\shell\open\command​
with value:
"C:\Program Files\AltusMetrum\altosui-fat.jar" "%1"​

Which all seems correct. But Windows responds to the double click with the error: filename.eeprom is not a valid Win32 application (which is now true since it is a 64-bit app).

If I type the following into the Start Menu run box:
C:\Program Files\AltusMetrum\altosui-fat.jar" "C:\Users\Fred\Rocketry\Flight Data\Sonic Karma(2)\2012-07-14(03)UP.eeprom"​
The AltosUI starts and plots the data, just as you said it would!

Gotta love Windows.

I see two options:
  • Find a way so double clicks will run 64-bit apps.
  • Keep a 1.3.x version (which is 32-bit) and link to that.

Have to play with this latter.

...Fred

Thanks for the info -- I tried our integrated java installer and it worked on the one machine I had to test on (also 64-bit Windows 7), but of course all Windows machines are different. There's no problem using the new UI without reflashing your TeleMetrum V2, but you might want to do that at some point to fix a few minor bugs.

What bugs? I am lenient to do this too since I am flying in a few days, but want to make sure I don't miss anything.

You mean in Windows?

It's a reghack, as documented here

Yeah, just a lot of typing (we can't just use a .reg file as the install location can be configured by the user). I spent a few hours (well, more than a few) last night hacking this up; a preliminary version of that is up in my altos-1.4 directory now https://keithp.com/~keithp/altos-1.4. You're welcome to give it a shot, but please don't use the firmware in that image as that hasn't been validated at all.

What bugs? I am lenient to do this too since I am flying in a few days, but want to make sure I don't miss anything.

The only slight annoyance is that when you erase flights from the board, it resets the flight number to 2.

Does altosdroid support the telegps?

Yes. We hope to release an update for AltosDroid that makes it a bit nicer with TeleGPS in the near term, but the existing application works well enough.

Yes. We hope to release an update for AltosDroid that makes it a bit nicer with TeleGPS in the near term, but the existing application works well enough.

Thanks! That is tempting...

Keith-

Still trying to get the command line stuff to work. Typing altosui-fat.jar at a windows command prompt gets me the top 5x3 grid menu. Adding any thing after, such as:
altosui-fat myflightdatafile
yields nothing. Got some clues?

...Fred

Back