Aerotech D/E SU packages missing yellow band?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm hoping to launch my very first Aerotech SU engines (got some D10-3, D21, and E15s) and was doing a dry run to understand the ignitors and how they go in.

The instructions mention a yellow band to secure the ignitor to the engine nozzle.

No yellow bands in the package. I looked at a couple packages; no bands.

I imagine I can just use either a small rubber band or a strip of tape or some such... probably no big deal, but what gives? Have they stopped supplying the yellow bands and just haven't changed the instructions?

These are recently purchased engines from the Valuerockets.com site.

Thanks

Marc

I never liked the bands anyway. Just use masking tape but DON"T block the nozzle opening

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to launch my very first Aerotech SU engines (got some D10-3, D21, and E15s) and was doing a dry run to understand the ignitors and how they go in.

The instructions mention a yellow band to secure the ignitor to the engine nozzle.

Marc

Just make sure the ignitor is all the way up into the slot. Then gently bend to the side. I place a good ole hunk of masking tape over the nozzle and press it down on the ignitor. Then use a pencil to poke a hole opening the nozzle back up.
And yes, the yellow band was a dental rubber band I believe.

I think i may have gotten your rubber band. I just got a G79 and i have 2 rubber bands :O:gavel::gavel::gavel:

And no matter what size the motor is, never double wrap. I recovered my level 2 flight and the masking tape was charred to all hell, but it wouldn't let go :D

well maybe it was an isolated incedent...AT E20-7, first fire jr(3"), 3m blue tape(for delicate surfaces). motor lit nicely good flight...when I did my post flight I discovered the remains of the igniter still firmly held in place. had the clips not released it might have been a rather low altitude flight.
rex

well maybe it was an isolated incedent...AT E20-7, first fire jr(3"), 3m blue tape(for delicate surfaces). motor lit nicely good flight...when I did my post flight I discovered the remains of the igniter still firmly held in place. had the clips not released it might have been a rather low altitude flight.
rex

Ooohhhh...Yes that is not just a problem with tape either. In AT HPR loads the little red thingy that goes over the nozzle to hold in the ignitor can do the same thing. Our club had a Mini-Magg on a G take flight with the ignitor clips still attached and separated from the rest of the lead wire making for a rather sub-optimal pucker up flight as it arced over the parked cars. :y: Most clubs will require that either the ignitor leads be wrapped around the pad legs or (if long enough) the ignitor wire itself be wrapped around a leg.

I have flown AT single use motors with the masking tape covering the nozzle without any problems the F42 comes to mind. I just slice a couple of vent holes in the masking tape. I have also done the very same with reloads, I have never used either the red cap or the elastic band.

Back