Aerotech 38 mm plugged forward closure instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the Aerotech 38 mm plugged forward closure (normal with delay grain used as a smoke grain, not the endburn closure), are the delay o-ring and neoprene washer used? I cannot seem to find instructions and cannot manage to understand how these elements would even fit. Since there is no ejection charge and it's sealed, I don't think they are necessary. However, I also don't want a CATO.

The inside of the forward closure has a recess where I believe the delay grain fits into in place of the delay o-ring, and the stepped surface doesn't even make sense for the neoprene washer.

Yes, install everything as if it was a regular closure. You are correct that you are not technically sealing anything but installing everything ensures the smoke grain stays in its proper place

Yes, install everything as if it was a regular closure. You are correct that you are not technically sealing anything but installing everything ensures the smoke grain stays in its proper place
This is incorrect.

Leave the o-ring and washer out as they are replaced by the step in the plugged forward closure.

Aerotech likes to make safety critical changes to their motors and bury it three levels deep on their website. Grain bonding, for example.

Scott, Thanks. After taking measurements of the closure, this can be the only way it would fit. I can at least find grain bonding directions, but I cannot find this info on their website at all.

This is incorrect.

Leave the o-ring and washer out as they are replaced by the step in the plugged forward closure.

Aerotech likes to make safety critical changes to their motors and bury it three levels deep on their website. Grain bonding, for example.
Hmmm I must have an older version of the plugged closure then….mine looks the same as a regular forward closure except it looks like they omitted machining the charge well cavity.

Hmmm I must have an older version of the plugged closure then….mine looks the same as a regular forward closure except it looks like they omitted machining the charge well cavity.

Me too.
I have all Dr. Rocket casings with both closures and the delay well is assembled the same for both. Both use the delay O-ring and spacer/washer. Fill hole in delay spacer/washer with grease for plugged closure. Never seen a newer version.

Back