A wicked good deal on flashlights at Costco

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi troops, I scored a pair of crazy bright LED flashlights for twenty bucks and thought some of you might be interested. They're Duracell brand, run on 3xC cells each, and the rating is 500 lumens. They are sick bright, and best of all they have a very smooth adjustment for spot size all the way from super wide down to a tiny circle.

I can't speak to longevity (just got 'em) but they sure seem well made for the money.

How's the color? Usually the more you pay, the whiter the light. (as opposed to greenish, pinkish, or bluish)

I'm clustering the free ones that I get from Harbor Freight. If you're good, you can synchronize the waves and create a Phaser.

Just don't cross the streams.

Hi troops, I scored a pair of crazy bright LED flashlights for twenty bucks and thought some of you might be interested. They're Duracell brand, run on 3xC cells each, and the rating is 500 lumens. They are sick bright, and best of all they have a very smooth adjustment for spot size all the way from super wide down to a tiny circle.
These?

https://costcocouple.com/duracell-led-tactical-flashlight-2-pack/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FO1TUH4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Duracell-LED-Tactical-Flashlight-2-Pack-Costco-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time in the past that I've found some tech toy at Costco that was at an incredibly good price at Costco when compared to other sources, it had some major fundamental flaw that caused it to get poor reviews online. These particular flashlights, according to reviews, either lack an LED driver/current/voltage regulator circuit or suffer from LED overheating even if they do have one which leads to complaints that their brightness drops greatly after being on for a minute or two. Some also appear to be drop sensitive, failing after being dropped. Of course, these could just be defective samples.

Heck, buy it and then throw out the flashlights and use the batteries in your brand new Estes Pro Series II launch controller!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought them several weeks ago. They have an odd square beam when focused. I wouldn't buy them again, but they function well enough to keep.

Here is the "Real Deal" super bright + small + inexpensive flashlight. The Ultrafire 502b.

There are many variations, and knock-offs, but this one (link below) is awesome considering the price $10 delivered.

Set to strobe mode and Duck-Tape a couple of these to a night launch rocket for some flashy-good fun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LVBDNU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

31rxFP+iWIL__SY450_.jpg

I second your recommendation of the flashlight and tape for converting rockets to night rockets! Coupled with a good sparky motor of course.

My favorite flashlight of all is this one: the Fenix E05.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D2A02O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Best 15 dollars I've ever spent: it's the size of an AA battery, but it has a lot of power and best of all really effective optics that produce a nice spot.

Unfortunately, it'll be the best 20 dollars you'll have ever spent, since the price seems to have gone up.

Fenix E05 is pretty great. I had an LD10 up until a couple months ago when it mysteriously vanished.

For anyone who wants good flashlights, head over to CandlePowerForums. They're portable lighting geeks like we're chuck-things-into-the-sky geeks :)

Last edited:
Back