A.I.R. Fest 11 - Argonia, KS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
AIRFest 11 is shaping-up to be one heck of a huge launch. So far we have gotten word about some really unbelievable projects that are being planned for this launch. These include:!
  • Delta III which will have a central P motor and 9 L boosters from Nebraska. (EX)
  • Aurora, Supreme Goddess of the Sky. Same rocket that flew to just a hair under 30,000’ on the Discovery Channel Rocket Challenge series, (EX)
  • 7 motor cluster of a central N surrounded by six M’s (Commercial & EX)
  • 10” diameter rocket with a single ‘O’ motor (EX)
  • Triply empowered – 3 M cluster from Kansas (EX)
  • Airy Bair – M1939 (2% N) from Kansas. (Commercial)
  • I know so far of 4 Level 3 certification attempts planned. (Commercial)
WOW!

Some of these projects are featured on the AIRFest web-site (see below), with more to be added as soon as I get a few more details, links, or photos. This is going to be an event every rocketeer will want to attend and join in the fun.

The Site

A.I.R. Fest 11 is sponsored by KLOUDBusters at our same Argonia, Kansas launch site that has hosted LDRS 4 times and that was featured on the Discovery Channel Rocket Challenge series. Folks, this is rocket heaven. Flat, flat, flat recovery area of plowed fields, pasture, or some row crops, and I can tell you the fields immediately surrounding the launch site were all being plowed during this past week in preparation for wheat planting AFTER A.I.R. Fest.

The Dates

A.I.R. Fest will be held September 2 – 5, 2005, which is Labor Day weekend. Friday through Sunday are commercial days and Monday is EX day.

The Details

In addition to the rocketry extravaganza, there will be a Saturday evening Barbecue and Swim Party at the Argonia City Pool. Great barbecue will be served and stories will be shared. Anyone, including spouses and children, is also welcome to come join in the fun, enjoy a meal, and cool-off in the pool.

The BEARS Ham radio club will be on-site with their radio gear making worldwide ham radio QSO’s. The marriage of ham radio and rocketry applications is well documented and the hams can answer questions about their hobby.

We’re hoping to put together a planet watch party for Saturday night. The new moon coincides with A.I.R. Fest 11, so star-gazing will be prime if the weather cooperates.

We’re planning another ‘From the Ground/Up’ contest; this time with the theme ‘The Missing Link’. Come join in or just watch this rocket building challenge to separate the … well … errr … Let’s just say it will be great fun for both participants and spectators.

The Web Site

Details about all this and more can be found at www.kloudbusters.org/airfest.html. Range hours, maps, lodging information, pre-registration, etc. are all covered on the web-site.

This will be a launch you definitely want to try to attend

We have just received word that Aurora will not be launched during A.I.R. Fest 11. Aurora will be at Argonia during A.I.R.Fest 11 - but only on static display.

According to Danny Stroud, his team will fly their new giant 8.5 inch diameter Endeavor and a supersonic speed demon. Dan says in an e-mail to us,
"It will fly on a big *** N motor and stage to six J motors. Like Aurora it will use a CO2 system to deploy the drogue and an ARRD to deploy the main. For the real speed demons, we'll also be flying a 3" Sudden Rush to near 30,000 feet on an M-2500.

"The situation with Aurora is that she is scheduled specifically to be displayed and launched as part of the Ansari X prize program being held in Las Cruces, NM to announce the new awards programs for future space related flights. Because of the importance of the Ansari Program and Aurora's part in it, we cannot risk damaging her before the event.

"However, Aurora will be displayed as it will be in Las Cruces, and we'll be bringing plenty of additional high flying and ultra fast rockets to entertain the crowd."
There are still a large number of M-plus projects planned for A.I.R. Fest 11, including the awesome Delta III from Nebraska. Everyone is invited to join in the fun.

--Lance.

:eek:

That sounds absolutely AWESOME! Still not sounding like I can attend, but my dad thought the Delta project sounded pretty cool :D Will see about going as it gets closer.

Back